Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Time restricted tournament strategy

I deal and sometimes play in tournaments that aren't freezeouts but the top 2 or 3 chip leaders will advance to the final table after 1 hour or so. Blinds generally double every round or 10 mins, and the players are mostly of the loose donk variety. How should my strategy differ from normal SNG strategy?
Yes this is free pub poker, which has taken off in Oz. Prizes at the end of a period can range from a trip to WSOP or a car.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Time restricted tournament strategy

[ QUOTE ]
tournaments that aren't freezeouts but the top 2 or 3 chip leaders will advance to the final table after 1 hour or so. How should my strategy differ from normal SNG strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want something more specfic, give the blind/ante structure, starting stacks, rebuy info, the prize structure if not winner take all. How many people enter?

You have to move pretty quickly in these things to accumulate chips, and this effect is more pronounced the more players there are. Full on aggressive bully mode would seem the way to go here, but if the players are really bad you might want to tighten up a just little - bluffing is a disaster against total novice players, and even they will feel the pressure of the blinds in such a fast structure. If they can't fold middle pair no kicker, you'll just have to wait for a hand.

If you get short or even semi-short, get to pushing like silly, and your requirements will have to be looser than the normal M guidelines, because those blinds move so fast. With slower dealers you might only get a few hands in before blinds go up, so I'd have no problem pushing,say, Q8 with 9bb from the hijack if there were no raises behind me (a couple of donk limpers might be fine, adjust accordingly).

I generally like trying to pick up chips right from the beginning in these, no point "playing tight early", because early won't last very long.

Last, if it's not WTA, be fearless on the bubble and just run over anyone not willing to put up a fight. If you're the chip leader, even more so.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Time restricted tournament strategy

My $0.02:

I play in these too at the local joint. I make the final table more often than I don't. Ours starts with 4K in chips at 25/50 and the blinds go up every 10 minutes.

Generally, the players don't like raises but will call them anyway. They like to see the flop for the cost of the blind but, if you raise, they'll still stay in.

You do have to move quickly to get chips but you need to do so carefully. I play tight at first and loosen up as the calling stations drop. Downside is that if you don't hit cards, you'll get blinded out fast.

though I play tight, when I hit a hand I'm quick to pot bet/move all in because someone will call. And you can double up with nearly any good hand.

"Full on aggressive bully mode would seem the way to go here"

This doesn't work at my local free pub poker. You'll get three callers at a table of eight with a big raise. Couple examples:

I raise 5xbb with JJ. Get two callers. Guy takes the pot after the flop with K6. he caught the king and showed.

A bit later, I get QQ. I think that 5Xbb isn't enough. I raise 10XBB. Still get two callers (one with 97o and one with A4o). I get Q on flop and win but was amazed they called with that.

And in late position in limped pots, I see the flop generally for the low cost.