Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: So my brain is(n\'t) weird? (names and memory)

I am also pretty terrible with names, but FWIW, my name retention abilities improved significantly when I started seriously reading again.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM

kipin,

It's not just you. With the greetings I'm terrible because I don't think I'm even bothered in making an effort to remember the person's name. I just instantaneously forget it.

I also cannot for the life of me remember this girl's name who I am decent friends with. I probably see her once a week, talk to her occasionally, have been on multiple evenings out with her, have been reminded of her name many many times yet still have no clue.

So don't feel bad.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 PM

You need to ground the name in some way with an image in your head or an event you've experienced with them.

Like if I say "hi, I'm Peter" you could picture me sitting and eating a pumpkin....much more likely to now remember my name.

Yugoslav
Old 02-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Yeah this is a pretty common thing. If I remember one out of 15 peoples names that I am introduced to I'd be surprised.

I think I remember from a distant pysc class that it had to do with the fact that you're self conscious when being introduced and worried about looking normal and shaking hands, what you're gonna say next etc.

Repeating their name like Diablo said helps, and apparently so can associating their name with something else about them. For instance if his name is john, think in your head "john with the blue shirt." I imagine it'd help more if it ryhmed like "matt in the goofy hat" or something.

In any event I've never remembered to do either of these things, so I can't exactly vouch for their effectiveness.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 PM

Heh. I meet people on the golf course and never remember their names. It's gotten to a point where I'll write it down on my scorecard. The strange part is, I very seldom refer to anyone by their first name anyway, so it doesn't really matter. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2007, 09:37 PM

I have a hunch that this is a male inability, it seems like the wife/girlfriend is usually the one who can remember these things.

I think El D's suggestion about repeating the name alound after the introduction is gold, I will try that next time I meet someone. In fact, even after reading the post and speaking the dialog, I remember that D used the name Chris. That's a good sign.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:47 PM

I have this exact problem when I meet one person alone. When I meet a group of people, however, I'm the exact opposite -- I'm usually 100% remembering a group of names. I think this is because I assume when I meet one person that I should be able to simply remember their name; in contrast, when I meet a group of five people at the same time, I know need to focus on who is who -- and when I do that, I can get names to sink in easily.

There are a zillion mental tricks to use. One of my favorites is to find some slighly odd thing about a person (a loud shirt, facial expression, shoe, or whatever), exaggerate it, and then associate that with their name.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 PM

I don't have this problem (fortunately....knock on wood), but have talked to people who do. One recommendation I heard that seems to make sense is to introduce the new person to others.

For example...you're at a party and meet James. You then tell every friend of yours within arms reach "Hey Diablo, have you met James?"

it's just another version of the "use their name outloud as soon as possible" rule. Plus, this way, there's somebody else who will know the name of the new person, so you can ask them if you forget.

Josh
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 AM

immediately associate the person with a celebrity having the same first name by imagining the two of them having sex or killing each other or doing something emotionally charged.

it will work. the more associations you form and the greater their emotional import the higher the likelihood of you remembering.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 AM

I am horrible at this also. Last year in class we did the name game in my public speaking class. Where you say your name and everyone elses name. It kinda sucked becuase I could barely remember anyones name...

Generally I have a very good long term memory and a kinda [censored] short term memory. It kind of worries me, but I dont think there is anything I can do about it.