Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Default LASIK Vision Correction

im considering getting lasik over the summer, and id like to know what the community thinks of it. basically my concern is safety. i have heard there is irreperable damage in 1/10000 cases, and worsening vision in 1/1000 cases. Does anyone know of someone who has had the procedure & it went badly?

Also any recommendations of Doc's in the southeast would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: LASIK Vision Correction

I had it 6 months ago and I'm happy I did it. I went from 20/70 to 20/20 vision and eventually it will be a lot less hassle than glasses or contacts.

It wasn't completely hassle free: a normal complication is that your eyes dry out and you have to put in eyedrops every 30-60 minutes for a month or two. It took me a little longer to stop taking the drops, about 4 months. Sitting in the chair wigged me out a little, I could smell them burning my cornea away.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 PM

Eye correction post

Above is a link to some different options in the Health & Fitness site earlier this year. I had it done a few years ago and other than dry eyes from time to time, no issues.

I know someone who claims to have poor night vision (stars) as a result of surgery.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 PM

I had it done in June of 2006. I went from 20/200(r) and 20/400(l) to 20/10 total vision.

I love it.

I made a long post about it on OOT. I'll go fishing for it and post it.

Here they are: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post6133568

and

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7892105
Old 10-18-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had it 6 months ago and I'm happy I did it. I went from 20/70 to 20/20 vision and eventually it will be a lot less hassle than glasses or contacts.

It wasn't completely hassle free: a normal complication is that your eyes dry out and you have to put in eyedrops every 30-60 minutes for a month or two. It took me a little longer to stop taking the drops, about 4 months. Sitting in the chair wigged me out a little, I could smell them burning my cornea away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the problem of dry eyes too, but only needed the drops for about a month. I think your eyes start getting used to you putting in the drops and so they don't rewet themselves on their own. To get around that I just stopped using the drops and dealt with my eyes being dry until my eyes started functioning properly again.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM

i got PRK about 1.5 years ago, vision is still a wonderful 20/20 (from like 20/300, 20/400). "bad" things happen more often if you go to a place that just wants your money. If you are really worried, spend a bit more and go to a good and reputable place that wont do the surgery if your eyes can't handle it.

i also had eye dryness issues, but its fine now, and well worth it.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:50 PM

I'm thinking about doing this too, setting up a consultation for next week. My dad had it done and loves it. My vision hasn't changed in the last few years so hopefully I'll be a good candidate.

Mikech got it done and while he told me he would still do it again, he had a few major issues with it he said. Don't remember what exactly. PM him if you are really curious.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM

A friend's wife got it done. Her one eye is unrepairable. I guess she has a fish-lens now after they did surgery on it twice.

I am on the fence about getting it. I have concerns about what long-term effects. I also have poor night-vision, so worsening that is another risk I am not willing to take.

If I was to get it, I would wait until I can afford to pay $2,000 per eye. Those $199 jobs scare me.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:25 PM

Had it done about two years ago. No problems so far.
Don't be cheapass and go for the cheap procedure. It's your livelyhood at stake. I paid 5K for Wavefront LASIK.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:38 PM

My eyes have been changing recently (good eye getting better, bad eye getting worse). Would this change after surgery, or does this mean I just wouldn't be able to get it done?