Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Obsessed with Microstakes

Hey everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm curious - is anyone here excellent enough to rely on microstakes for a living? I multitable short-handed .02-.05 and win about $30 - $80 bucks a day, depending on how many hours I play (I'm finishing my last semester in Economics and I work many hours on campus as well).

That's what I wanted to do after I graduate: day trading and online texas holdem.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Obsessed with Microstakes

.02/.05 is not enough to live on. nl25 if your crushing it would be ok, and nl50 is good. You wont always win so you gotta have enough profit to live off of.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:06 PM

sample size? # of tables? ptbb winrate?

i doubt that u can sustain winning 30-80 bucks a day playing .05 NL
Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 PM

if you want to rely on microstakes for a living. in about two years it will be as boring as working in a factory and about as challenging. Not to mention the state of online poker is in flux and its future is uncertain.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:09 PM

no...never
Old 09-16-2007, 09:19 PM

When I lived at my folks house, 25nl was more than enough for my living. Now that I have my own place, I need to realize I have to move up.
When you need more money, you move up, right? =)
Old 09-16-2007, 09:33 PM

I could easily make $15 an hour playing 25NL, but why would I want to do that for a living? There are some players that make +/- $50 an hour playing 50NL, but they are really good, and probably would be better off grinding 100NL and 200NL. The guys that rely on microstakes for a living play 8+ tables at a time, and it gets tiring doing that after a few hours. More fun to have a regular job and enjoy poker as a hobby.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The thing is, I enjoy every moment I spend online, even playing these very small stakes. And I guess I don't have any serious obligations yet. So I never considered a serious go at anything higher.

I was thinking of giving the 25NL a shot very soon to improve the way I play and try to win more.

Also, I was wondering - whats the most number of shorthanded tables you guys can do? I easily grind nine, maybe 10, depending on if I have a 70FPP or freeroll going on at the same time, but 12 is impossible! Then again, I said the same thing about 4-tabling full ring 16 months ago, so maybe in a few more months of practice I could pull the even dozen on stars [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2007, 09:53 PM

If you're crushing your current limit (assuming large enough sample size), you definitely should move up to 25NL if your bankroll allows it. It sounds like you're confident enough.

As for tables, I generally 9-table because that's all that will fit on my monitor before it gets too small.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:58 PM

Oh, I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I don't use Pokertracker or PAHUD, but I do get several thousand hands in a day (at least 2, depending on class and work [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
So my gameplay isn't perfect, and I have a rather systematic approach to microlimits, which I'm sure won't work too well at stuff higher than 25 NL