Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Fall \'07 Movie Thread

is resident evil worth seeing as a pop corn flick or does it suck bad?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 AM

Comedy value is the only thing that resident evil brings. And not the good kind of comedy.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Saw Darjeeling. Normally I like Wes Anderson but I didn't find this all that funny, mostly just awkward and too unexplained, and I thought the music was often weird too. Big miss for me, very disappointed.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw it on Wednesday [Michael Clayton]. At the time I was satisfied and thought it was a good little film, yet 3 days later I am somehow still thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

True test of a really great film. I saw this flick on Sunday and think it is the best mainstream Hollywood film to come out in awhile. I recommend it highly. There were a few things that are sort of cliché but those are nit points that really don't detract from the film overall. Everyone should try and see this movie.

-Zeno
Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There were a few things that are sort of cliché but those are nit points that really don't detract from the film overall.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, only real problem i had with "michael clayton" was the ending (it wrapped things up too neatly, and just felt like it was the wrong tone given the rest of the movie), otherwise it was really good. it's one of my favorite "types" of movie, kind of a throwback to something by sidney lumet.

speaking of whom, i'm looking forward to lumet's new film, "before the devil knows you're dead."
Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 AM

michael clayton movie review from my view point:

protganist has textbook personality flaws. gambling, money management, and marriage issues.

he has textbook personality strong points: son loves him, coworkers respect him, he does his job well.

by the end, you can see the moral decision he'll have to make at the end of the 120 minutes since he's got a good heart doing a messy job of cleaning up people's problems.

plot holes almost made this movie uneventful.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:26 PM

hmm, i don't know if you paid enough attention to the film. he's divorced and appears to be unattached, not sure how he has marriage issues. and about his "good heart" and moral decision, well, i think it's easy to miss the fact that the climax of the movie was not where he made his decision, and it was not the decision you probably think he made.

spoilers: (<font color="white">he made his moral choice when he accepted the loan from his boss, marty. remember how he went into marty's office to tell him about the damning u-north document? before he had the chance to, his boss gave him a check for the 80k he needed to borrow, and then he never brought up the document! that was when he made his decision. it was so subtle i bet 80% of the audience of this movie won't realize it. he continued to work, even quitting that late-night poker game to go "fix" the problem of the hit-n-run, but the u-north lady lawyer tried to have him killed. if his hand hadn't been forced by the attempt on his life he would've done nothing.

that's why i didn't like the ending, because his decision was already made, and it was consistent with the character and made sense in the context of the story, however despairing and bleak. the reversal of his choice was not motivated by moral concerns, but occurred simply because he was left with no choice. in essence, the ending was a copout.</font>)

also, re: the "textbook" or cliched aspects of the character or plot, i have no real issues with that even if true. every story has already been told, the difference is in the execution. it's not the "what," it's the "how." and this movie was executed very well, imo. yes, it's a story that's been told before, but i for one don't mind hearing this story over and again, i love this story. "justice, sir, is the great interest of man on earth."
Old 11-03-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jumper -A genetic anomaly allows a young man to teleport himself anywhere. He discovers this gift has existed for centuries and finds himself in a war that has been raging for thousands of years between "Jumpers" and those who have sworn to kill them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want this to be so much better than it will be. :/

Much like Wanted Trailer
Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 AM

*** Minimal/not Important Spoilers Included ***

Spurr of the moment trip today to watch American Gangster:

Bee Movie Not worth it IMO. Bridget Jones is super quite in it, but other than that not much to see. Some funny concepts/ one liners (in fact the one ate the very end just might be worth watching the whole movie for) but IMO the crazy plot isnt believable, and the movie becomes oriented towards kids. Although many parts are for adults.

Gone Baybe Gone

Kudos to the Afflecks, they were not too shabby here. Cassey is pretty chill, and his characters is fairly believable. The supporting cast (like the ppl in the background) make this movie feel more realistic than it should be. They pull teh story off IMO. Which is a difficult thing to do in crime/action/drama movies. I honestly thaught this movie was 2:30, but my buddy said it was under 2 hours (or 90min? I forget).

Drags on a bit, but is decent IMO.

Michael Clayton

Political thriller that delivers. Easily best movie of day. I cant really go into detail, but I will say: it is believable, suspenseful, tricky, smart, fast paced. Acting was top notch. Clooney is really good, as are the other main characters. I felt while there were giant gaps of plot that are not spoon fed I still got alot of the movie (which usually isnt the case for politrhilers). Good.

American Gangster

Too much security at the doors. Didnt get through to this one, so i guess next time.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:49 AM

gone baby gone is pretty good and a little provacative (in a law and order kinda way)