Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Brag: randomly staked a guy and won $96,600

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't play tournaments at all, so the situation doesn't come up.

My point was all about scale. I was saying I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to give someone $100k just for lending me $55. I'd certainly wish I'd been able to get hold of $55 myself and kept all the win. I'm sure most people would agree with this. And I said hey, you know, I'd look to renegotiate. Idle speculation, and for this I'm treated like I'm the worst person in the world. So ridiculous.

I've been staked small amounts a couple of times for cash games, and of course I'd have paid their full % of anything they won. But even though the principle is the same, I'm just saying paying $100k back to someone who lent you $55 would feel very different to paying, say, $200 back to someone who lend you $100. It WOULD feel different, wouldn't it, even though it's the same kind of agreement and you're no less bound by it.

I do think this situation relates to Jamie Gold's staking deal. In both cases, a guy does much better than he ever hoped to expect in a tournament, but finds he has to pay a huge % of his winnings to someone else who hasn't really done much. Of course people should pay up; but you can see why, sometimes, they have reservations about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

he plays a degenerate scumbag on the internet, not really much of a stretch to see him doing IRL, especially the way he's trying to defend a welcher's mindset

[/ QUOTE ]

Degenerate, yes,

"Scumbag" no, not at all.

Learn what words mean before you use them.

[/ QUOTE ]

man before today when i saw your posts and people's reactions to them i just used to think that you were the guy that everyone loved to hate but still kind of liked.

after this thread i realized you're a total loser scumbag that no one wants around. just go away.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

man before today when i saw your posts and people's reactions to them i just used to think that you were the guy that everyone loved to hate but still kind of liked.

after this thread i realized you're a total loser scumbag that no one wants around. just go away.

[/ QUOTE ]
+1
...anyone who would not ship the 100k with a an ear to ear smile(knowledge they just banked 40k) is pathetic.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 AM

My staking made me $4! :P and they all payed me the monies.

Yeah hojo could run off with 100k... but his whole life he would know that he cheated the guy who was nice enough to stake him out of his money.

A deal is a deal, and money is not the be all end all.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A deal is a deal, and money is not the be all end all.

[/ QUOTE ]

but it is the end all be all
Old 10-20-2007, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[x] well played by all
[x] thread delivers

[/ QUOTE ]

BeerNutz -

[x] AVATAR DELIVERS!

Who is that? Don't want to hijack this awesome brag but man, she looks beautiful!

[/ QUOTE ]

She is hot, but I have no idea who she is. Here's a better look though:

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me to make another valuable contribution to this thread:

http://www.silvercashcontest.com/bikini_...p;totalPics=303
Old 10-20-2007, 03:59 AM

Old 10-20-2007, 04:21 AM

It's amazing that luckyjimm considers the hypothetical nature of the deal, and the suddenness of the score, factors that make giving it back harder. When in fact making good on a highly public, one-off deal, when you're in high spirits, is very simple, on the spectrum of staking situations. So often, when you're staked, it's because you're in pretty bad shape, and when it comes time to square up you're still usually in pretty bad shape, and often there's all sorts of ways to skim a little or do things that are technically within the bounds of the stake but just grossly bad for the staker.

So, even "just musing" that this of all stakes would make you go bad on a deal might get you honesty points, but also means that the poker world is a completely terrible place for you. Though, "being in the poker world" and "copy/pasting hands in NVG" are two different things, so maybe he's in the right spot.

--Nate
Old 10-20-2007, 04:38 AM

I doubt this kid was in bad shape. He probably just loves the game, is an average joe, doesn't play seriously, gets an opportunity to get staked at a much higher limit, and ends up getting most of next year's salary up front!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing that luckyjimm considers the hypothetical nature of the deal, and the suddenness of the score, factors that make giving it back harder. When in fact making good on a highly public, one-off deal, when you're in high spirits, is very simple, on the spectrum of staking situations. So often, when you're staked, it's because you're in pretty bad shape, and when it comes time to square up you're still usually in pretty bad shape, and often there's all sorts of ways to skim a little or do things that are technically within the bounds of the stake but just grossly bad for the staker.

So, even "just musing" that this of all stakes would make you go bad on a deal might get you honesty points, but also means that the poker world is a completely terrible place for you. Though, "being in the poker world" and "copy/pasting hands in NVG" are two different things, so maybe he's in the right spot.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points in your first para

Hey, I have a blog too, there's more to me than Ctrl+C!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt this kid was in bad shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread. That's exactly the point.

--Nate