Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Amazon Kindle - Electronic Reading Device

I have this pathological fascination w/ gadgets and gizmos... I haven't compared the specs but how is this different than the Sony reader that came out awhile ago, it also uses e-paper tech.

I messed w/ the Sony version at Fry's and, more recently, Costco. Pretty cool, you can press down on the screen w/ your fingers and no LCD liquid effects happen. Much, much easier on the eyes than standard display technology.

The one thing I don't like about "one page books" is that you can't fully use your spacial memory (i.e. flipping pages)...but that's made up w/ search functions I suppose.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty nice gimmick. Not sure how well this is going to compete with devices who have full internet operability though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the advantages are that it has really good battery life and it stores around 200 books at a time.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty nice gimmick. Not sure how well this is going to compete with devices who have full internet operability though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the advantages are that it has really good battery life and it stores around 200 books at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-24-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Your PDA holds more than that? I'm not talking .doc's here

Oh you mean internet access. Well again, these are scanned books with the specialized display. It isnt meant to replace the internet its meant to replace the paperback.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Your PDA holds more than that? I'm not talking .doc's here

Oh you mean internet access. Well again, these are scanned books with the specialized display. It isnt meant to replace the internet its meant to replace the paperback.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they're scanned. You can choose font size and the lines and rows readjust to fit the screen. That's not a scan.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can you explain what this is and what it has to do with the Nerd Rapture/Kurzweil?

[/ QUOTE ]

He basically said that devices like this will make books obsolete. This technology is almost there.

[ QUOTE ]
All I got was that it was basically an iPod that displayed PDFs

[/ QUOTE ]

It's lighter than a single book, a screen that is easier on the eyes than a book (let alone a screen), it can access hundreds of thousands of books, who knows how many blogs and magazines, is wireless, adds search functions/highlight functions/tons of other stuff you could never get from an ipod or iphone.

Why would anyone ever use a book again once this becomes cheap?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:20 PM

If I actually made a habit of buying books, I would be all over this thing in an instant. As is, pretty much all the books I read are from the library. The benefits of weight, convenience, etc. really aren't enough to justify shelling out $9.99 per rather than the zero I pay now.