Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 AM

Default overpair, drawy board against a good player

Villain is know as a solid player in the Stars regs thread: 24, 18.6, 3.06, 38 WTSD (920 hands)

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero?

Do we need to bet here almost everytime against those kind of players?

What about CCing or CRing?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 AM

Default Re: overpair, drawy board against a good player

If this villian were more passive, I'd consider a b/f, but I think that c/c c/c is probably better here.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 AM

here is the turn and river action:

Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

I think my river play is terrible, because he took a free card, representing a draw.
So do you think it is better to check-call or ck-fold?
Old 07-08-2007, 06:59 AM

I would check/call turn and risk giving freecards.
If he took a freecard on turn I would check/call that river.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 AM

I think you have to 3-bet this river.

I think the turn check is fine.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:23 AM

imitation: 3-bet this river! He took a free card on the turn, so why 3-betting after the flush card hits?

to all: what do we fear to not bet or CR the turn? two pair? a set?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 PM

His range is pretty narrowly defined on the flop. It's possible he'd overlimp with 33, not impossible he'd do it with 55/66, and there are some medium suited connectors and such that fit (which might bring 65 into play). Maybe some smaller suited aces I guess if he's feeling limpy.

Combos-wise he's probably on a big draw. His flop cap is slightly disconcerting, though, in that he has to think that we're showing down close to 100% of the time here after we 3-bet. It's possible we have 2 overs with a diamond draw I guess, but he'd be committed to firing at 2 more streets to fold us and we might look him up anyway in a bigish pot when draws seem to make up such a large % of his range. The upshot is that he seems to think it's a value play with so little apparent fold equity, so we're either dodging a lot of outs or drawing thin. Awesome.

With the benefit of time to think, and in light of your read, I'm tempted to fold if a diamond drops somewhere. Is that ridiculous?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:10 PM

Lead turn....don't give the free card. If he has a set or straight....oh well, call down.

Given that he checked the turn....check the river to induce a bluff from busted straight draw or save 1BB if he hit his flush.