Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 02-14-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Coffee Addicts Thread

Although I have a French press and a coffee grinder I don't make that much coffee so I hope others that are more proficient and knowledgeable will add their expertise to this thread. I will start off with a number of links to set the stage:

History of Coffee

Types of Brewing

More on Turkish Brewing and other info

I recently had Turkish Brewed coffee at a resturant and enjoyed it very much. There is a thick pasty residue in the bottom of the cup. But the coffee taste was elegant.

Practical Stuff

French Press Coffee Makers

Coffee Grinders

Some coffee aficionados think grinders are important and need to be a certain type:

Grinding your own coffee beans is a fairly easy way to ensure freshness in your cup of coffee. Grinders can be inexpensive, and some coffee makers or espresso machines even have them built in.

There are basically two different kinds of grinders: blade or burr.
Blade Grinders

Most inexpensive grinders use a metal blade to chop up the beans. The blade cuts up the beans, and you control the fineness by how long you let the grinder run. Unfortunately, the resulting coffee grounds can be uneven in size, leading to inconsistent brew quality.

Another downfall is that if you are grinding finely, and therefore leaving the beans in the grinder for a longer period of time, there can be significant heat created by the blades. This can give your final coffee a burned taste. These are fine grinders for basic use, but that's about it.

Burr Grinders

Burr grinders crush the beans between a moving grinding wheel and a non-moving surface. The positioning on the burr is what regulates the ground size, which allows for a more consistent grind. In the burr category, there are two different types.

Wheel Burr - The less expensive of the two burr grinders. The wheel spins very fast, and these grinders can be noisy. The higher speed rotation makes these grinders more messy as well.

Conical Burr - The best grinders you can get are conical burr grinders. The burr spins slower than the wheel model, which makes them quieter and less messy. You can use a conical burr grinder for oily or flavoured coffees and it's not likely to clog, like the other kinds of grinders. These are the best type, but you will pay the price for them.

__________________________________________________ _____

ROASTING IS IMPORTANT

Some coffee nuts roast their own beans. I hope we have a few around here to fill us all in. Some information follows that I found:

"The roasting of green coffee beans of green coffee beans develops the coffee aromas and flavors. Roasting is the process of heating the coffee beans uniformly, first to remove the moisture (about 12%) then to cause pyrolysis of the sugar in the bean cells, which means that the sugars break down to caramel, water, carbon dioxide, and many aldehydes and ketones which characterize the aroma and taste of fresh coffee.
The roast weight loss is related to bean color and beverage taste, and is often related to the mode of brew preparation and cultural taste.

Different coffee beans react differently to the various end temperatures cited. And various green beans have preferred levels of roast for best flavor developments. In the USA, too many firms roast their beans too lightly because that gives less weight loss (greater yield and profit). Often roast level is determined by the coffee buyer-taster who is used to evaluating green coffee beans at light roasts. The end result of such light roasts can be a very acid, astringent, harsh-tasting beverage which does not have optimum flavor development. It is a wasted coffee sold to the public.

Few people realize that the manner of roasting has a great deal of influence on the taste of the final roasted beans. For example, rotary steel cylinder roasters, which are traditional in the trade; e.g. Probat in Europe, due to their high operating temperatures (over 800 degrees Fahrenheit) cause searching of the beans, oil release that can coat all the beans, and smoke from burning chaff that fumigates the beans, giving them a harsh, biting, and (in dark roast) a burnt taste which is "dirty". The use of Melitta filter paper, for example, helps remove some of this bitey taste. It is far better not to scorch or burn the beans or lay a tar coat on the bean. In order to avoid this scorching and non-uniform roasting of coffee beans, Mike Sivetz developed, in 1975, a fluid bed "once-thru-air" coffee bean roasting machine that produces a clean "tar-free" non-biting, smooth tasting beverage.

__________________________________________________ __

That is enough.

What are the best coffee beans (green or roasted) and where to get them?

Speak up coffee addicts.

-Zeno
Old 02-14-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Coffee Addicts Thread

i told the coffee store man to give me something with a lot of caffeine in it aweek ago, just to see what's up with coffee. he gave me a big hot cup and said there were 2 shots of espresso in it. i couldn't sleep all night, i had a headache and my heartbeat was quite loud and a little irregular i am never doing that again.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:38 AM

Despite my screenname, which would lead one to believe that I'm all about dark, black coffee, I actually prefer a medium or light blend.

With that in mind, I'd recommend the following:

Jamaican Blue Mountain
Kona
Kenya AA
Colombian Supremo

All of these are light to medium roasts, although I have seen Supremo and AA packaged as darks before. However, if you're really lazy(which I am), I think you can get a perfectly decent cup of coffee from the Folgers Special Roast...it's the one with the yellow label on the front. It's a solid blend for everyday, especially for the price. But...for gourmet purposes, stick with the blends above. Stay away from Starbucks...they burn the hell out of their beans.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:52 AM

Back when I lived in Australia I had a blade grinder, and tried lots of different types of beans. Over here in Italy, however, nobody does that, which perhaps is a bit surprising considering how seriously they take their coffee.

The method for brewing coffee here, which wasn't mentioned in your link, is the moka. I'm drinking a cup right now, it is good.

I use Illy Moka blend, which is the most expensive coffee here but it is simply sensational. Lavazza is very good also.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:55 AM

Starbucks coffee sucks. Their iced stuff, however, is delectable.

For quality, I like most of what I have tried from Whole Foods. I like to sample different flavors and boldnesses.

When I don't feel like brewing a cup, I go to one of my favorite delis (I live in new york) and buy the delicious coffee that many delis in New York have. The quality is surprisingly high from most of the corner-store type places.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 AM

adsman: Thanks. I found a good link on the moka: Moka Brewing

Moka Pot stovetop brewers produce a dense concentrated cup that's something between espresso and Turkish coffee. Coffee is placed into a filter between the lower chamber (that you fill with water) and the upper chamber that will contain the finished beverage after brewing. Since the water is forced through the cake of coffee by pressure, the process bears more resemblance to espresso extraction that infusion (gravity-based) brewing.

__________________________________________________ __

There is a store near by where I can get lavazza coffee beans and their espresso grind so I can also vouch for the quality of this coffee.

-Zeno
Old 02-14-2007, 10:07 AM

Intelligentsia

And it isn't close. Unlike a lot of places, they buy directly from quality growers, not wholesalers. They roast in small batches. Their largest roast is 200 lbs. Starbucks smallest roast is 2000 lbs for their "special offerings".

If you happen to be in Chicago, you can take a very cool tour of their roasting works.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:45 AM

So I'm guessing that CrackBucks doesnt count as coffee?

I usually just get a black, mild to strong roasted coffee, throw in a small bit of sweetener and call it good.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 AM

I'm a coffee addict that is also hopelessly lazy, and I drink 90% of my coffee outside my home - which means it's pretty tough to keep beans/grinds. I also live in the city which means a fresh hot cup is only a block or so away.

Then my girlfriend got me this nifty little machine for christmas. A fresh hot cup is always about 20 seconds away. It's obviously not as good as freshly ground/brewed, but it's good enough for my tastes.

link
Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 AM

The best beans are generally something you can get close to home.

In Seattle, Cafe Vita is unbelievable.

In San Francisco, I like Philz or Ritual.

Trader Joe's has a big variety of beans for very cheap, some are good, some are not.

Never ever never ever buy beans from those bulk dispensers in grocery stores. Coffee beans go rancid very quickly because of their high oil content. Most grocery store beans are completely stale and rancid. Coffee beans should be stored vacuum packed. Once you break the seal they should be used within a week. If you don't use them that fast, then freeze them. You can grind them frozen and use them as normal (do not thaw).

When I went to Kona I bought a bunch of beans there, really delicious, and the plantation tour was fun. I never buy them normally cuz they cost 4X normal beans and it's not worth it.