Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: I can’t stop playing poker

How many of the posts on the eighteen pages were actually by the OP? Those are the only ones that I am interested in reading. I read about three of the OP's post before bailing.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Not sure exactly where it was he left off in terms of numbers of posts that continued on with his story. Somewhere along about page 7 would be my best guess. He did make some replies but most of those were responses to the attacks and abuse he was getting from others. Then people started attacking him for his responses and then he was silent but the thread went on and on and on (like this sentence) but with nasty remarks and people all puffed up full of themselves with self-congratulatory remarks for having been able "to spot the BS" and for being so self-admittedly clever at saying (OVER AND OVER again) "We're still WAITING FOR GODOT..."
Old 11-22-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see that a few reply posts here [NVG] have indeed been deleted and it's a scary thought trying to imagine what they might have said.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding! I've been reading 2+2 for years, but have never before been in NVG. I'll probably never be there again. In addition to your introduction, I've read your post to the Godot thread. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Welcome to 2+2. What shall I call you? Pepit? Ann?

One of the best places to start on 2+2 is with the sticky faqs that are at the top of each group. Another good place is the Best of Two Plus Two thread. I've barely begun to read it.

[ QUOTE ]
nasty remarks and people all puffed up full of themselves with self-congratulatory remarks

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. What a great summary.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 PM

Thanks, Mike. Pepita 'n' Nikita were the names of two cats I lived with while I was in California. I'll answer to anything, though! LOL. Actually, at the risk of sounding very morbid, I do not expect to be around more than handful of days more at most so it doesn't really much matter. On the other hand, there is always the chance of some sort of miracle and if I turn out to be still breathing, I will post back in a less despairing tone.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, at the risk of sounding very morbid, I do not expect to be around more than handful of days more at most so it doesn't really much matter. On the other hand, there is always the chance of some sort of miracle and if I turn out to be still breathing, I will post back in a less despairing tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of us will hope and pray for the miracle.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, at the risk of sounding very morbid, I do not expect to be around more than handful of days more at most so it doesn't really much matter. On the other hand, there is always the chance of some sort of miracle and if I turn out to be still breathing, I will post back in a less despairing tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

yikes, what is going on?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yikes, what is going on?

[/ QUOTE ]
He lost his life savings and his fiancée is pissed?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:40 PM

By he you must mean she and by fiancee you mean cat. And as for what is going on, I hope it isn't too dire. Elaborate?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing microstakes poker should be a small/recreational thing. If its screwing up a relationship, it is NOT worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a quibble with this part of your otherwise good post.

I am a very serious beginning poker player, and my small-stakes play is neither small (in terms of time) or recreational.

My goal is to make poker into a decent part-time job. I am a musician, so I approached it like I would learning a new instrument. To be good, I have to learn the fundamentals, just as in playing an instrument, you have to learn tone production, scales, alternate fingerings and when to use them, etc.

I approached poker exactly the same way. I used play money to get used to how it works online. I am always using flash cards to memorize something new: odds/outs/percentages, different starting hand systems for different situations, different randomization techniques/systems, what to bet to give the right (wrong?) odds to a drawing opponent, etc., etc.).

One of these days, I'm going to slog through The Mathematics of Poker, and I might even take a game theory class to help myself in that area.

I talked this over with my wife, I had a plan and a very conservative bankroll strategy.

I did play money for several months, was grinding $1 SNG for a few more months, and I recently moved up to $5 SNG. I've been playing for real money for about 6 months.

This is not recreational. Right now I work about 30 hours a week at my regular job, and another 30 playing poker. I like it, but this is my work, just like my "regular" job, and by the time I've been playing real money for a year I should be playing $10 SNG and making as much as at my real job.

If someone really wants to be good at poker, he can never start with the idea that it's recreational until you play for the big money, or "it's only play money" or even "lol micro donkaments" (that last drives me crazy).

The problems with addiction are real. I know, I worked with drug and alcohol additcs for twelve years. However, commitment, even at micro levels, even if it's a big time commitment, is not a bad thing.

"I don't know anyone that got rich working 40 hours a week."--Sean Hannity
Old 11-23-2007, 12:57 AM

do what you enjoy. if that's poker, then get better at it and prosper.