Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 PM

Default HU w/OESD 1/2 live

I'm on the button. Villain is a late limper three seats to my left. I am 160BB deep. Villain has me barely covered. I've not played with him much, but from his table chat he seems to regard his game highly.

Many callers PF. I raise to $20 with 99. All fold to villain, who while thinking sees remaining players to his left fold. He calls.

Flop is JT8r. Villain leads out with a PSB, $50. Hero...??

Folding seems absurd, but I'd like to hear arguments for calling/raising.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: HU w/OESD 1/2 live

I would like to see an equity calc on this hand, I dont think a fold is absurd but I am not convinced it is the best play.

If you call here what would be your plan on the turn?

What about if you raise here? I think I would have to throw up if reraised and dump it. If he just called yourraise what would your plan be on the turn?

Is a fold really that nitty here? our draw isnt to the nuts and I am not sure we are getting paid off if a straight card hits.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 AM

sorry as I was typing I moved closer to the fold option. I hope someone tears my thinking up though. I would love to hear some other thoughts on this one
Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 AM

I should have explained why I thought folding was out of the question. I didn't put it past this player to think that I might have been making a play with very little from the button PF, and so I took into consideration the possibility that his flop bet might be an attempt to take the pot down.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:48 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

you are considering calling and creating a $150 pot with $250 behind to draw to a non-nut one card straight after a late position player limps, calls your 10bb raise, and then leads into you on a flop that makes you a pair and OESD?....

reconsider....

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 02:10 PM

Sunny,

If you see this as a raise or fold situation, do you lean toward folding?

As played I elected to raise, making it $125, for the reasons I laid out in a previous reply.

The biggest hits to my stacks have come from these marginal situations that I can easily avoid, given that the game offers so many more favorable spots to get my money in. But in the interest in varying my play to avoid looking rockish, I find myself fastplaying (i.e. gambling) hands like this every so often.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
Sunny,

If you see this as a raise or fold situation, do you lean toward folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

hell no

[ QUOTE ]
As played I elected to raise, making it $125, for the reasons I laid out in a previous reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate your raise amount. Just push all-in. You want to maximize your fold equity and not have to make any decisions on the turn if called.

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest hits to my stacks have come from these marginal situations that I can easily avoid, given that the game offers so many more favorable spots to get my money in. But in the interest in varying my play to avoid looking rockish, I find myself fastplaying (i.e. gambling) hands like this every so often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally hear what you're saying. Maybe plays like this are or aren't necessary in this particular game - you'll have a better idea of that than I. However, just realize that you made that decision preflop when you raised to $20. You made the decision, for better or worse, to play a big pot instead of a small pot. When I said "hell no" I wouldn't fold, it's purely because of the preflop action and the fact that the pot is a third of your stack after his flop bet. (You essentially made it correct to gamble in this "marginal" situation.) If you had limped preflop (which also may or may not have been reasonable), I would definitely consider a fold as being a reasonable postflop option.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM

I knew my raise amount was wrong when he pushed all-in and I had 2.5-to-1 on my draw and was committed anyway. I won't even make the excuse that I wanted my bet to look like it wanted a call. I was thinking, though, that I might get a free card if he calls then checks the turn, as a lot of passive 1/2 players will do.

BTW, the villain had AA. How do you rate the way he played the hand? (Deep limp-call PF, Bet-3betAI)
Old 07-20-2007, 04:40 AM

Once you raise to 10x BB, you're no longer really playing deep as you saw in this hand. As someone who has overplayed and misplayed 77-JJ a fair amount, I say from experience that I agree that the preflop raise is the mistake in this hand. It's tempting to figure "I must have the best hand" and "they will make a lot of bad calls preflop" to justify your raise (and your raise to 10x BB is no doubt +EV, it's just not maximally +EV). Pairs are hands where you want to let people in and see a "cheap" flop for $8 or so. Sometimes you take down a small pot with a cbet (depending on number of callers / board texture / image / etc.) and if you flop your set, the pot is usually big enough to get it all-in, often on the turn or even the flop.

As played, I think your flop decision is tough but your options are all-in or fold. I think you're behind most of the time, but you often have 10 outs and almost always at least 8 outs. Although you can't rule out Q9 or 97 entirely in these games. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hope you dragged the pot with a good turn/river card. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]