Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 04-02-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Calling someone by their first name

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been dating my gf for 5 years, living with her for 3, and still have no idea if its okay to call her father by his first name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should get a new cell phone... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I l'ed-ol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. McDermott?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends a bit on your relationship with this person, but in the vast majority of cases it would be OK.

For example, if I was corresponding with a perspective employer, I'd still use "Mr. XXXXX" until I was actually hired.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty industry dependent. I have never called someone Mr., and would think a perspective employee addressing me in that manner odd.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 AM

anyone who gets upset when someone uses "you guys" in an informal environment is a tight ass.

however, formally, it might be a good idea to plan what you are going to say before you say it.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Me neither. I figure its some play on "call" but damned if I know what.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Funny story- My friend is in law school and was applying for judicial clerkships. He called the office to check the status of his application and see if they needed any additional information. THe person answering the phone was some type of clerk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, he should insult the guy for being a secretary and ask if any real employees of the office were available to chat.

[/ QUOTE ]

OT, but a law clerk is most definitely NOT a secretary. In most federal courts, the judge has "law clerks." Some judges hire permanent law clerks. But many judges hire clerks for only a year or two at a time. These positions (especially those in the Courts of Appeal) are very prestigious positions. For the Court of Appeal, only the best students can get such a position.

There tasks are generally to conduct legal research on the cases before the judges; write memos regarding novel issues of law; and to write the first draft of opinions and judgments.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:04 PM

In e-mails with people I don't know, and especially if they send first, I tend to just reply with however they sign the e-mail. Generally these are pretty informal though so it's no big deal.

People who I will never, ever call by their first name if I can help it: parents of my friends and girlfriends; professors and teachers (TA's usually get the first name basis though); bosses depending on the job and how far above me they are. Honestly if parents and teachers tell me to call them by the first name, I can't do it. I just feel disrespectful.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been dating my gf for 5 years, living with her for 3, and still have no idea if its okay to call her father by his first name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I successfully dated a girl for a few years without ever having to address her mother by any sort of name because I was told to not address as Mrs. X (she was divorced) or by her first name, but by a ridiculous nickname.