Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Air your beefs about Bill Clinton

I thought his foreign policy was inconsistent and often ill-conceived.

He had the opportunity to take forceful action in Rwanda and Bosnia and instead sent conflicting signals and and passed it off the UN, when it was clear the UN had no intentions of doing anything. In the meantime we wasted our military initiative in places like Somalia and Haiti.

Bosnia especially drove me nuts. Here was a case where great wrongs were perpetrated on a Muslim population by a Christian country. Serbia had made it clear that they would back down under pressure and we stood by and let ethnic cleansing take place. It was a terrific opportunity to improve our standing in the Muslim world with little downside and it was bungled.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM

He couldn't serve 3 terms.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 PM

I hate that he had to leave office instead of running for a 3rd term.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:00 PM

as someone who doesn't like clinton i will say all the things about his presidency that i did like.

NAFTA (though he only deserves fractional credit here)
welfare reform(though i am really just giving him credit for not vetoing it, so not much credit is due here either)

clinton was a populist who relied on polls for policy advice. probably two of the things i hate most in politicians.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He couldn't serve 3 terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, cuz if he was president and not GWB, then 9/11 wouldn't have happened, the economy wouldn't have shuddered in 2000 and Osama would have tried to marry his daughters to Americans, cuz he knew what they could do with a cigar.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: It Was Space Technology

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Loral did break the law afterwards (but again they did not "sell secret technology", some of their engineers wrote a report to help with the missle launches that included classifed material),

[/ QUOTE ]
So giving "classified material" is just the equilvalent of a parking ticket. The news stories I heard said that before Loral Space, the Chi-Coms kept losing satellites because they couldn't keep them in orbit. After their dealings with Loral Space, the Chinese had the technology to keep their satellites in orbit. Sounds like the bought classified technology to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

No I agree that I think Loral broke the law. I do not know if the punishment is appropriate or not because I don't know the details of the case (and as is usually the case we never hear the full story).

What I have a problem with is people who misrepresent what actually happened, and I believe you did this with your first post on the subject.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:41 PM

He bombed a pharmaceuticals factory in the sudan. There was VERY reliable intelligence that it was not a chemical weapons factory. That factory produced half of the country's malaria medicine. The after the fact death toll from that act is enough for me to demand that he get strung up from the nearest lamp post.

The bombing took place during a key moment in the lewinsky hearings. Draw what conclusions you want about his motives for the bombing. The bottom line is that he didn't consult with the joint chiefs beforehand. Even a layperson wouldn't have trouble PROVING that is was not a chemical weapons plant at the time.

This [censored] reminds me of when powell was describing how mobile chemical weapons trucks were producing all kinds of WMD nastiness in Iraq, but ordinary chemists explained how THAT WAS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE.

cliffs notes: clinton is a war criminal