Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 06-26-2006, 08:54 PM
 is offline

Default Re: Updated satellite strategy post

[ QUOTE ]
I want to be certain I understand this entirely:

[ QUOTE ]
The final hand of the sat went like this: a medium to large stack raised 4x to 12K in EP. Another medium to large, but somewhat smaller stack called the raise in MP. The SB, with ~22K total (he would have been about 20'th of 26) thought and pushed in with kings, EP instafolded, and MP thought forever and called with jacks (losing would have put him about 20th as well), then sucked out. Hilariously, every single decision made by all 3 players in the hand - in a 650 dollar buyin - was mildly to extremely wrong and, in at least one case, a $3000+ mistake. Think about that and then figure out how profitable these things are compared to a DSO, especially if you're the short stack watching this from the other table with ~10K chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so here's my shot at IDing the mistakes:

1) EP should pretty much be folding anything here since he is a large stack. Obviously anything he isn't calling a reraise with should not have been raised in the first place.

2) MP should have insta-folded for the first raise, and then insta-folded for the second raise since he missed his chance the first time around. There is zero reason for him to be calling the first raise with JJ againt someone that can knock him out or cripple him. Even if he flops perfect and gets all his chips in, he can always A) be accidentally behind or B) get sucked out on and lose.

3) I assume that the SB should have simply folded the KK? When he goes all-in with KK, even if gets called with JJ of the same suit (pretty much the best case scenario), he still has roughly an 18% chance of being eliminated and not getting the prize package. Since he is dumb enough to call here, I have to assume that even if he wins and doubles up, he won't be guaranteed to win the seat, because he'd probably get frisky againt a larger stack when he was dealt AA next hand. There is no way that the chances of getting a seat by blindly folding EVERY SINGLE HAND HE IS DEALT until someone goes out is less than 82%.

I want to make sure I fully grasp this, as I need to jump on this satellite bandwagon soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

adanthar -

Were these right, by the way?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:32 PM

3 is more like 70% and down because he should by all rights be getting called twice, but yeah.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:58 PM

wow, you are my new favorite poster.

i just finished busting out of my fifth first table in a stars dso. wish i read this sooner to save my 800 bucks.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a (4 year old) pic in my profile don't I?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

blurry 3 year old fiancee and I pic

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, so that's what Clayton's going to look like in five years.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:41 AM

I know this is theoretically what people should do, but it is not what they actually do. In general if I push and someone calls, they have hurt both of us severely, so I'm pretty scared to push with medium stack unless I know the people I'm pushing on are likely to fold, and if no one is pushing it is difficult to learn how they respond to pushes.

So what are some practical tips for dealing with this in the real world, knowing that are opponents might call our pushes anyway.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:27 PM

Dude, if you got that far, sound like you just need to practice your short game. And yes, you absolutely should have let them duke it out, unless you know you can get away with a steal once in a while. Otherwise, sit back and let them come to you.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:22 PM

well what you say is absolutely correct. The more pertinent question is about adjusting to the play at the table.

medium stacks and big stacks will call off huge chunks of their stacks. The call is -EV for both players in the hand. So it makes sense to sit out and gain equity. But with blinds and antes you are also leaking equity every orbit.

The question really is about where you make your last stand.

And of course the ggeneral discussion helps, but specifics will help.

I think th e question really is on a similar line to Sklansky's post about folding KK heads up in the Poker Theory forum
Old 11-17-2006, 04:29 AM

Bump. And thanks. Made the cut by folding everything.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
wow, you are my new favorite poster.

i just finished busting out of my fifth first table in a stars dso. wish i read this sooner to save my 800 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you miss those 800 bucks. lol
Old 03-22-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Adanthar - your opinion?

Adanthar and all others who advocate the larger edge Party Steps have in terms of building a bankroll can I get you're opinion on this (from STT section).

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question that was asked in the first one, but not answered:
What is 5-step? I've heard people referring to it as if it were some level of buyin, but I can't figure out what it is

You must be refering to the step systems. I don't know what sites offer them, or what the official name for them are. But, at party it is the Steps.

There are 5 steps. You start at Step 1. If you win Step 1, you move to Step 2. And it continues like that until you reach Step 5 where there are cash payouts.

At each level, if you do not win or come in the top couple spots, you usually get a freeroll into that same step or a step or two down.

Generally people see them as a rake trap. At each step, you are paying a certain amount back to the site. It's very difficult to win enough sngs to get to the top step, so you're paying a lot of rake along the way to what is usually just busting completely.

People are attracted to them because the payouts are huge compared to the buy-ins for the first couple steps. But, people should remember that there is no easy way to make these big scores. It's no different than playing a 6.50$ and winning and buyin into a $27. Then winning the $27 and buying into a $114. You can imagine, it's pretty easy to lose your initial buy-in, because you are most likely going to lose at some point. - devin

[/ QUOTE ]