Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Do you think dogs get lonely?

Thinking a lot about dogs lately

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about dogs. I sort of want one. Course I seem to enjoy talking about it more than going out and getting an actual dog.

Several people at work have told me that it's wrong to get a dog if I can't give it enough attention. I don't know what they're getting at. These same people have dogs of their own and work the same number of hours I do. It's not like they're hanging out with their mutts all day long. So is it cruel to get a dog and leave it at home all day while I'm at work? Do they really get lonely or is it more boredom?

Should I go purebred?

The kind of breeds I'm debating (based mostly on their looks) are boxers, terriers and maybe even wirehaired pointers. Has anyone on here ever owned a wirehaired pointer? They look like this

- Do you think your dog gets lonely? If you could would you do it all over again and get a dog knowing what you know now?

- Do you think it's unethical to get a dog if you work a lot of hours each week? Say you are gone from your house for 10 hours every day?

- Is it wrong to leave your dog in a crate for 8-9 hrs every day?

Finally, (on a slightly different subject) - Is it wrong to get a puppy from a dog breeder? There's a dog fanatic at work who told me that our coworker should never have gotten a golden doodle from a breeder because it's unethical. Why are dog breeders unethical?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Do you think dogs get lonely?

1. If you get a dog, adopt one from a shelter or pound. Lots of unwanted dogs. That's where I got mine!

2. Of course dogs get lonely and bored. I think it's because they have no concept of time...so it really doesn't matter if you're gone for for five minutes or 10 hours - to them you're gone FOREVER!

That's why they're so happy when u return. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

3. Crate training is fine...dogs are den animals and love to be underneath/in something...
Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. If you get a dog, adopt one from a shelter or pound. Lots of unwanted dogs. That's where I got mine!

2. Of course dogs get lonely and bored. I think it's because they have no concept of time...so it really doesn't matter if you're gone for for five minutes or 10 hours - to them you're gone FOREVER!

That's why they're so happy when u return. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

3. Crate training is fine...dogs are den animals and love to be underneath/in something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for everyone's comments.

1. I might go this route. I don't think I can handle a puppy even though I love them so much. I think I'm looking for a more mature dog. Someone who has the bathroom thing down. But I want one that looks cool. Like the fellow in the picture.

2. Dom, what do you do with your dog when you're gone. Does he just hang out on your couch all day?

3. Is crate training only for the early stages and eventually you throw away the crate?
Old 10-27-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for everyone's comments.

1. I might go this route. I don't think I can handle a puppy even though I love them so much. I think I'm looking for a more mature dog. Someone who has the bathroom thing down. But I want one that looks cool. Like the fellow in the picture.

2. Dom, what do you do with your dog when you're gone. Does he just hang out on your couch all day?

3. Is crate training only for the early stages and eventually you throw away the crate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got Sammy when he was two and he was already housebroken. When I had a regular job it was close by so I'd come home at lunch and take him for quick walk. Otherwise, he'd either hang out in the house or outside in the back yard.

I don't know much about crate training so I'm not the one to ask. I just know what a friend who did it told me!
Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM

If you don't have a fence you could always put up an invisible fence. That is what I have mine trained on and it is great. You just run a wire around your property, hook it up to a transmitter, put on the special collar and you are ready to go. The collar lets out a beep when they get too close to the fence and if they proceed further into the off-limits zone they will get shocked. Most dogs will pick up on the noise pretty quick and won't get shocked more than a few times. You can set the shock to a level that is mostly just uncomfortable and won't actually hurt the dog. My hound dog is a big baby (90+ lbs) and I got her the collar for small <10 lbs dogs (had to attach it to a bigger collar) and it worked great. After a couple months I took the collar off and she never leaves the yard zone even when another dog is walking by. I work a 40 hour week and she gets lonely but I keep plenty of toys around for her to play with while I am gone. The puppy kong toys are great. You put a treat inside of them and dogs will spend hours trying to get them out.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have a fence you could always put up an invisible fence. That is what I have mine trained on and it is great. You just run a wire around your property, hook it up to a transmitter, put on the special collar and you are ready to go. The collar lets out a beep when they get too close to the fence and if they proceed further into the off-limits zone they will get shocked. Most dogs will pick up on the noise pretty quick and won't get shocked more than a few times. You can set the shock to a level that is mostly just uncomfortable and won't actually hurt the dog. My hound dog is a big baby (90+ lbs) and I got her the collar for small <10 lbs dogs (had to attach it to a bigger collar) and it worked great. After a couple months I took the collar off and she never leaves the yard zone even when another dog is walking by. I work a 40 hour week and she gets lonely but I keep plenty of toys around for her to play with while I am gone. The puppy kong toys are great. You put a treat inside of them and dogs will spend hours trying to get them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, while you're at it, just get an invisible dog! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 04:30 PM

That is what I had before I set up the fence. I would let her out and, poof, she would disappear.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The puppy kong toys are great. You put a treat inside of them and dogs will spend hours trying to get them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try filling the Kong with peanut butter and freeze it overnight and give it to the dog. They love it and that keeps 'em busy for quite a while as well.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have a fence you could always put up an invisible fence. That is what I have mine trained on and it is great. You just run a wire around your property, hook it up to a transmitter, put on the special collar and you are ready to go. The collar lets out a beep when they get too close to the fence and if they proceed further into the off-limits zone they will get shocked. Most dogs will pick up on the noise pretty quick and won't get shocked more than a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given this a lot of consideration. I might invest in one. When you first trained your dog did you have to walk with it close to the fence and then run to the center of the yard to sort of teach it? That's what one of my friends at work told me. She said you have to work with them so they know to run towards the center of your yard if they get shocked.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why does this dog look smarter than anyone I know?