Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 09:43 AM

Default turn c/r semi-bluff: does this only work in limit?

5/10 live, 400 buy-in. I have like $150 left in my stack. Everyone at the table, including the porter clearing the cheese fries off the roll-table that were being shoveled down by the fat prick in seat 6, covers me.

Reads: MP is very loose and speculative, doesn't make moves, doesn't slowplay, doesn't read hands well. BB is decent and kind of tight, but will take stabs.

Three drooling idiots limp, so I complete in the SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (BB is kind of passive, hasn't raised PF yet from the BB so I expected to see a cheap flop -- is this still a fold with my puny stack? Or can I invest 1/30 of it?) BB checks. 5 to the flop for a pot of 50.

The flop cometh Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Checked around.
The turn is T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, BB bets 25, MP calls. I shove for 125 more.

Am I the worst player ever?
Old 08-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: turn c/r semi-bluff: does this only work in limit?

i think you're too shallow for this, especially with the reads of your opponents
Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Well I am not sure if this is a misapplied concept but I think what you did was correct. I just got done rereading this - Stack Sizes and Strategy. (PNL, Pg 34 - Example No. 2)

Had your stack been bigger then it would not be correct to shove.

I am not liking the c/r all in. If you want to get the rest of your stack in(and you have good value given your stack size is small) its best to just bet into it and hope you get raised, then you can shove the rest of it in or call the allin.

For semibluffing, given your stack size, draw, and pot size, I think you should just shove and not bet.

With the c/r all in you now might have them fold and lose value for your good draw.

You should not be checkraising in NL like we do in Limit. Rarely it is correct to checkraise in NL.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Reload preflop, just call here and shove the river if you hit.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-18-2007, 02:59 PM

I dont hate it, I dont know what u mean by this working in limit tho... do u ever win the pot UI when u cr here 3 ways? Would this be a good semi bluff cr in limit?
Old 08-18-2007, 03:10 PM

I like it. It's kinda like a squeeze play, only on the turn. The bettor probably has a weak Q and the caller, well, who knows.

I'd like it a lot more if you were deeper, though. This will probably chase the bettor but if the caller has a J he's not going anywhere.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:27 PM

I think if MP didn't overcall we'd have a decent chance here, but I think our FE is pretty close to 0 because of that. If we had this kind of draw on the flop, I think it would be an easier push.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:06 AM

this reminds me of a hand i had tonight live but i was 150BB deep which makes it a little different. I'm not sure wether its better w/ a shorter or deeper stack ( i think slightly shorter) but I like it, but maybe cuz i'm a aggro tard.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would this be a good semi bluff cr in limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, it depends on the opponents and your own image. But you're going to call the turn anyway, so you invest 1 extra BB in an effort to take down the pot UI, and even if you get 1 fold you might clean up some pair outs (say a pair folds and a draw calls), and if both call then you still have 12 outs (~24% equity) plus the chance they fold to a river bet.