Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Imus returns to Radio and TV - So overdue..

i use to see his show on msnbc in the mornings. It was bad because he is old and talks too slow. What he says seems ok for a news/political type show, but he talks so slow that it's unwatchable.

(mumbling makes everything worse)

Stern also makes fun of him for being such a cowboy now. He says when he was younger the was the furthest thing from a cowboy.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 PM

The cowboy schtick is one of the more annoying in our culture, because very few of us are anything remotely close to a cowboy or ever have been. Cultural slumming basically. But at least Imus didn't invent it; it's become one of our major cultural tropes, which goes to show how much we like living in imagination land, I guess. And Imus's slow delivery is definitely a turn-off.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys feel about The Dog?

[/ QUOTE ]

About The Dog...I just watched the Larry King interview with Dog. Well he's very remorseful isn't he? Probably because he just lost his livlihood. He's an interesting guy and seems to be very intelligent. Did he say he had 12 kids?! They sure don't love him they way they should. It seems two of his sons have sold information to the tabloids for quick money. My guess is that he's extremely self-centered and overbearing and I'm sure his kids felt lost in that big shadow. I don't know, that's just my take on it. It was weird seeing his oldest son seated next to him. You could tell that he wanted back in his father's good graces but that he was not there yet.

I don't think Dog should lose his show over this. Is he racist? Probably.

What do you think of the Dog Blarg?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He pretty much singlehandedly carried the torch on the Walter Reed scandal

[/ QUOTE ]

I promise you that is not the case. Who told you this? Imus?

For those of you who don't listen to Stern, Stern had a funny line about Imus' "charity ranch for kids".

"These poor kids are sick, and he makes them work his ranch! What kind of treat is that for a sick kid?"

(Stern hates Imus. In his old age, Stern has really toned down the anger in his rhetoric, yet he's saved a spot in that angry corner of his brain for Imus.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Stern is so awesome though, that he attracts fans from accross the globe like myself.

BTW didn't Stern play a clip recently of Imus saying something like "that hooked-nose jew needs to be put in an oven" ; or was that a doctored? Also, they claim he used to call Robin a "n-gger" and an ape and stuff. Sounds like a douche to me; but then again its not like there isnt an audience for that sort of vile bs.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The cowboy schtick is one of the more annoying in our culture, because very few of us are anything remotely close to a cowboy or ever have been. Cultural slumming basically. But at least Imus didn't invent it; it's become one of our major cultural tropes, which goes to show how much we like living in imagination land, I guess. And Imus's slow delivery is definitely a turn-off.

[/ QUOTE ]

25% of cowboys were black so maybe Imus should respect his idols more.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:43 PM

FWIW - Imus was Harold Ford Jr's biggest supporter and shilled for him shamelessly during his candidacy, and he spoke out on the obvious racism during that campaign as well.

Say what you want to about IMUS, but to brand him as racist, is intellectually lazy IMO. I think a lot of people that critticized him as being a racist at the time had never even heard his show.

Groupthink is a hell of a drug..

Just Saying..
Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 PM

I like Harold Ford Jr! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I don't hear much about him anymore, wonder why? If Imus is a HF fan than I will keep an open mind about him.

But I think his comments about the girl's basketball team were stupid. I'm beginning to think that a lot of people are just smug as all hell and have awful manners. Frankly it pisses me off. That said I don't really think he should have lost his show over the comments but maybe he deserved a fine for being stupid.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:38 PM

This may sound like a stretch, but I think whatever "society" is deserves a lot of blame for this, and we're kidding ourselves if we just point a finger at Imus or The Dog like they're so different from us and their behavior so abberant from the norm. It has become much too acceptable to call women b*tches and ho's, and say "my [censored]" this and "[censored]" that. Frankly, that stuff kinda stinks. When we create a social environment that endorses speaking and thinking like that, it's hardly surprising when public figures come along for the ride. After all, they only do so because our culture has gotten coarse enough to celebrate talking like that in the first place. I sincerely doubt Imus was raised by his parents to call people ho's. Imus is just the canary in the coal mine showing how toxic and idiotic a vast swath of the public mindset has become.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:42 PM

i couldn't agree more.

edited to say --

However, a man his age should know better. (I will type more on this later Blarg.)

Old 11-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Katy I agree with you, what he did was stupid, and he has acknowledged that as well.

What's interesting is that I don't neccessarily think this is about Imus as much as it is the resutlt of the ruthlessly agressive blogosphere who go nuts at the sign of blood in the water and the 24 news cycle that is always requiring new victims. I mean everything is on you tube, there are no sacred cows, and unfortunately this includes, ironically, freedom of speech.