Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 PM

Default STTF - Hotel California MTT Holiday Blowout -preliminary interest list

Details are pasted below from the other thread. Please see that thread for more discussion of MTT format, etc. Right now I'm thinking $500 MTT with 1 rebuy and possibly 1 addon.

Since the deluxe bungalow is looking more likely, cover will probably be $200. No money will go into suzzer's pocket. Any surplus will be pumped back into the party, or perhaps "making it rain" at the Body Shop. Irie has vouched for himself and at least 8 others already, he should be getting concrete verification in the next couple days. Velocity and Yugo are in. Looking for 30 or 40 max. I will probably go by the hotel this weekend and scout out the rooms.

Please post here if you are interested in attending, which means you will be ready to ship $200 at a moment's notice. Remember I must know you well, or you need someone I do know to vouch for you. Normal Irie rules will apply. If we have too many interested, first to ship get it.

If you are not wanting to play in the MTT, please state whether you are interested in perhaps dealing or reporting/pic taking, or have some other service to offer, or if you are just too cool for school (skipper). WARNING: if you say you will play in the MTT, but show up anyway w/o $500, prepare to be everyone's emotional whipping boy for the evening.

Details (pasted from the other thread):

Except Sat. Dec. 8th seems like the obvious day. Will give me some time to prepare, price nitrous tanks, etc. Standard protocol.

I am proposing an STTF party with something like a $500 +1R and maybe another addon MTT going on which will start fairly early and end in enough time to catch the strippers and/or nightlife. The buyin, blinds and rebuys(!) can be hammered out. But the idea is that it's enough money to hurt, and mostly a crapshoot. I don't see MTT participation as mandatory for attendance. But I dunno. Might have to consult with Irie on how that should work. Oh yeah - it'll probably be a HORSE MTT. Or at least some kind of mix.

I just checked with Chateau Marmont - plenty of availability. 2 cottages (which is what I've been to a few parties in, but thought it was the bungalows) would be about $1k (total) and one bungalow (supposedly 4x the size of the cottages) would be $1700. Or the super-deluxe bungalow with private carport is $2700.

I'm thinking bungalow. My gut tells me 30 ppl max is about all we'd want to manage. Hmmm. Maybe 40. Need to do some calculating. Probably want to leave some room for random women gathered throughout the night. $100 per/person would cover the rent and a crapload of food and booze (add some more for the deluxe bungalow).

I will consult Irieguy for the usual rules and best practices for these things. Generally I better know you or get a real solid voucher. Also maybe we hold a few spots open for dealers, bartenders, and a pic taker.

For those of you not familiar with Chateau Marmont, it's about the coolest hotel in LA for my money.

(hillside bungalow)

This is where just about every band has blown their brains out at one point or another. Hotel California is based on the Marmont. Also where John Belushi bit it. They're pretty cool about parties as long as you don't go totally apeshit. Also the Bar Marmont is a pretty cool hangout, and you get right in on a Sat. night if you are a guest of the hotel (or slip them a little).

The rest of Sunset Strip is right there, including the Body Shop across the street. The last Marmont party I went to I got a little too rolling and had to walk over to the Body Shop. Within about 3 minutes I had some near perfect 10's naked bootie about 6 inches from my face in a not-so-flattering position. Right as I walked in the door I saw her standing there and heard her saying to her trainee (I'm guessing) "and now, we wait". I immediately grabbed her and took her to the VIP room. I think I got some extra credit for that.

People coming into town might want to look into getting a room at the Marmont for the weekend, or maybe at The Standard down the street. Anyone bitching about LA hotel rates or the cover charge is automatically disqualified. This is not an OOT gathering! You don't have to be a baller, but you better be able to act like one for one night. If I have a surplus by the time the party actually gets rolling, I'm sure I'll find something to blow it on. After that, as long as the room/hotel/minbar damage is under $1k, I'm copacetic. The last one of these I went to, some furniture wound up in the pool. I'd rather avoid that.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: STTF - Hotel California MTT Blowout - preliminary interest list

In, but won't play with "ridiculously fast" blinds. You realize that 5 minutes live is like 2 hands, right?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:48 PM

In for party....the MTT sounds sorta retarded with "ridiculously fast" blinds.

Yugoslav
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 PM

Btw, this is one reason all events should be in Vegas. You don't have to do anything in fear of missing out on the nightlife.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In, but won't play with "ridiculously fast" blinds. You realize that 5 minutes live is like 2 hands, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will be one of the panel of elders that we work out the MTT structure with. Irie has already suggested starting early to squeeze in a more normal timeframe. It may get a little WPT-style crapshooty at the end though, just so we can plan things out.

I edited the OP to reflect this.

Obviously I'm not going to force an MTT structure that no one wants to do. I just thought it might be fun to have basically a big flippament with just a touch of skill. But normal-ish MTT is cool and probably more fun.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:04 PM

prob in, possibly will play the MTT depending on the structure
Old 09-26-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, this is one reason all events should be in Vegas. You don't have to do anything in fear of missing out on the nightlife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we do have walking distance from party to bar(s) to strip club to beaucoup restaurants. And just a teeny bit of history and ambiance at this place.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 PM

I'd like to come!?

I'll play the MTT, but when structures get out of control I try to chop at least 37 ways...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 PM

Standard. Yes Devin, you get the early bird - I don't know you but you're a mod so you can't be a total spazoid - special. In!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: STTF - Hotel California MTT Holiday Blowout -preliminary interest list

I'm in, as noted.

For anyone worried about the structure, don't. I will work with Suzzer to create a good structure that will allow plenty of play early. The WSOP nightly satellites lasted 8 hours with 50-100 players. We can certainly start a 30 player tournament at noon and get plenty of play in with ample time for an after-party.

It will be a great time.

Irieguy