Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Default 2008 WSOP Dates Announced

39th annual World Series of Poker presented by Milwaukee's Best Light beer will be held at the Rio May 30 through July 17, 2008.

a few notes.

1) the rumors about the date change were wrong

2) the rumors about the venue change were wrong

3) does this mean Harrah's doesn't expect to sell Rio before the WSOP, or does this mean one side of the business doesn't speak to the other? Do the new owners of Harrah's have any input yet?

Business as usual is of course more valuable than business interrupted so that would explain the announcement and plans even if they intend to offload the WSOP.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: 2008 WSOP Dates Announced

It was pretty clear there was going to be no venue change until 2009. Caesars is adding a new convention hall and parking that will be completed by mid 2009, so you'd have to wonder.

I'm more curious to see what events are scheduled and what changes will be done to the structures / buyins / fees / layouts if any.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was pretty clear there was going to be no venue change until 2009. Caesars is adding a new convention hall and parking that will be completed by mid 2009, so you'd have to wonder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word on the street was that the WSOP was for sale, Jack Binion is taking the WSOP and the Rio. Word also is that Palms might take the Rio which is possible since they are building a tram between the Rio and the Palms. Obviously this is all just rumor, and the recent announcement casts some doubt on the rumor.

Too bad they didnt change the dates, the WSOP was much better positioned in the spring.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:06 PM

It doesn't make business sense for Harrah's to have the WSOP in the spring. Convention season in Vegas is in full-swing up until Memorial Day. It's in their best interests (their pockets) to create demand for their rooms during off-times. (Off times being summer weekdays)

I know Pollock went on record and said the "Poker Tent" wouldn't be used in 2008. So you'd have to wonder if they locked up an additional room to use. I kinda liked the poker room since it wasn't as loud as the Amazon Room. Granted, I wasn't in there when the temperature was an issue.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
39th annual World Series of Poker presented by Milwaukee's Best Light beer will be held at the Rio May 30 through July 17, 2008.

a few notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually dates changed. Last year was June 1st start date. There are 2 more days on the schedule this year.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a few notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually dates changed. Last year was June 1st start date. There are 2 more days on the schedule this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

bah, we were all hoping for a return to spring.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a few notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bah, we were all hoping for a return to spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant to say this year (2007) was June 1st. Anyways, Harrahs would rather fill hotel rooms in the dead of summer than worry about them during the brisk spring business. It's not secret why it got moved to summer in the first place. I'm in favor of going back to April with it too.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM

Have to respectfully (if somewhat selfishly) disagree with TT's post re. seasonal preferences. As a once-a-year, non-pro pilgrim to Mecca, summer is much better for vacation planning purposes.

Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if the higher WSOP attendance in recent years can be partly attributed to the change to a summer timeframe, as more civilians have the opportunity to come out on their summer vacation and make a donation (this poster included). I could stand to be corrected on this point ... I wonder if anyone at Harrah's has attempted to quantify the issue of which season maximizes attendance? Of course, if they were to pay me, I'd be delighted to spend an hour in a focus group and gripe about WSOP matters.

Anyhoo, since the thread is on seasons, here's a gratuitous WSOP-themed haiku poem:

amazon summer
we freeze while the desert burns
another bad beat
Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have to respectfully (if somewhat selfishly) disagree with TT's post re. seasonal preferences. As a once-a-year, non-pro pilgrim to Mecca, summer is much better for vacation planning purposes.

Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if the higher WSOP attendance in recent years can be partly attributed to the change to a summer timeframe, as more civilians have the opportunity to come out on their summer vacation and make a donation (this poster included). I could stand to be corrected on this point ... I wonder if anyone at Harrah's has attempted to quantify the issue of which season maximizes attendance? Of course, if they were to pay me, I'd be delighted to spend an hour in a focus group and gripe about WSOP matters.

Anyhoo, since the thread is on seasons, here's a gratuitous WSOP-themed haiku poem:

amazon summer
we freeze while the desert burns
another bad beat

[/ QUOTE ]

not so sure your right, most of working America takes Vacation in August I think. I could be wrong of course.

Bitchin' haiku!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if the higher WSOP attendance in recent years can be partly attributed to the change to a summer timeframe, as more civilians have the opportunity to come out on their summer vacation and make a donation (this poster included). I could stand to be corrected on this point ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Summer vacation? Hardly any of the WSOP players are in high school.