Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 10-07-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: IP Check

[ QUOTE ]
One part of Buzz's post with which I agree is when he said something like what's the point of banning you for 7 days if you only post once in every 8 days?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, so if ever I get suspended, it'll be for like 15 minutes, right?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 PM

perhaps it would be best if buzz were to be alerted to this thread, since he's writing long prosaic passages out there in the real world while we discuss his actions without him.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 PM

cit,

PERHAPS YOU COULD HAVE JUST SENT HIM A PM INSTEAD OF F'ING WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME BY MAKING THAT POST IN THIS THREAD, YOU DIMWIT.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:05 PM

masked meanie,

to be fair, mostly i wasted my time. i'll drop him a PM now.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was really thinking about doing something about that avatar earlier today.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a sick mind.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, so if ever I get suspended, it'll be for like 15 minutes, right?

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Die Bitter - No. You won't get suspended at all.

If someone without mod status makes a post such that I feel they should be kicked off the forum at least until they cool down, then my current intention is to ban them from posting and somehow make it clear to them that they have to deal with an administrator (Ryan Beal, or Mat Sklansky) before regaining posting privileges.

Hopefully that will only take 15 minutes.

But they'll at least be forced to make some act of contrition to an administrator before regaining posting status. And that, I think, will make them much less likely to do something amiss in the future.

A one day ban, and then a two day ban, and then a three day ban, and then a one week ban and then a two week ban (or whatever) is playing games with wayward posters. It might be fun for them, but it's no fun for me to play games with someone who makes a post any six year old should know is inappropriate on a strategy and tactics forum.

I sincerely think banning someone until they are unbanned by an administrator is a better way for wayward posters to be handled on the forums I moderate than a point system, or banning for one day, then two days, etc.

Just in case RobinCR is not the same poster as bogey1, I will make sure that I write an e-mail message to the poster I banned from posting, so that he knows he has to deal with Ryan Beal or Mat Sklansky to get his posting privileges restored.

I bear the guy no malice. I don't recall ever reading a post by him before I banned him. He's the first guy I ever banned, and hopefully the last. I am loath to ban anyone.

(Thanks for the alerts, Cit. and Mike)

Buzz
Frank Jerome
Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why on earth did you ban him?

he's not ban on sight, he's just some guy who got permabanned. you're allowed to do make a new account in such an instance. you have no reason to believe he did anything more than call one guy an [censored] once, which honestly he shouldn't even be permabanned for on one account.

not all permaban posters are ban on sight, and in fact, the chuddo, bruiser, kkf, and aejones accounts are all examples of this. while you can't create an account to circumvent a temp ban, you can create an account to get around a permaban. all permabanning means is that it's time for you to try again with a clean slate.

is it smart to make your first post on a new account "omg wtf i'm permabanned?!" no. but still, it's not like the new account broke any rules at all. the new account just asked a question.

bad ban, imo.

[ QUOTE ]
bad ban, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Buzz,

I don't think anyone is questioning your motivations. You obviously did what you thought was best for the forums as a whole. You are universally beloved as a site contributor and no doubt a lot of people have benefited by your efforts.

The problem is, and this has come up before, is that your idea of what constitutes bannable tone seems nowhere near that of the site admins' that I can tell, and apparently quite a ways from the standards that existed before you were asked to mod PLO (I think that's the forum that's causing the problems).

On top of this, the part where they must contact an admin to be reinstated is something I'm not familiar with, and more to that point while you think you're being helpful you're actually creating more work for them when it may not be necessary.

Just my thoughts.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently this group is also populated with ass holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the context of this comment, but assuming he's referring to forum posters in general, I'd give this guy 5-7 days and hope he uses the "injustice" as an excuse to stay away from the forum.

Someone mentioned how people don't get this kind of punishment elsewhere. IMO, the situations aren't really comparable. OT forums are for fun. Strat forums are serious business. Posters rightfully get harsher penalties for disturbing the peace in a place where people are giving their time to help others and trying to improve their game.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 PM

Buzz,

Please read this thread. It's a bit long, but please read the whole thing. I just think it's really funny to compare that thread to this one.