Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Fantasy / Science Fiction book series

I wonder if anyone has read this series . I loved it when I read it about thirty years ago.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:09 PM

For Sci-fi:

You can't go wrong with Gibson. As for more modern, Broken Angels (and sequels) are pretty decent noir sci-fi with just the right touch of pulp.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree on Donaldson and Martin...

would also add Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle and, if you like hard science fiction, Greg Bear's Eon series...

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to give the Eon books a shot sometime. I have read some of Bear's other work, /, Moving Mars (first 1/2 of the book extremely dry). I think I prefer his shorter work, Blood Music (short story, not the novel), Heads. He gets serious points for ripping on Hubbard in the aforementioned Heads [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 PM

I like David Gemmel. Every book he does has the same archetype characters, yet somehow I can't put them down.

RR Martin's books are just incredible. Wish he put out more than 1 every 5 years.

For mind candy, I've enjoyed Butcher's "Dresden" books and even more so his Fury books.

I absolutely loved Julian May's classic Pliocene Exile books (all of them, the initial trilogy and the later prequels).

On the Sci-Fi front, Robert L. Forward is spectacular. Excellent science and he does a phenonmenal job with the alien lifeforms/characters.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:36 PM

This is the first I've heard of Jordan dying. "The Eye of the World" was the first fantasy book I ever read. I found a copy in a box outside a used bookstore for a quarter about 16 years ago. Thrifty even as a kid, I figured I couldn't go wrong with that many pages for so few cents.

Kay is one of my favorite authors. I love The Fionavar Tapestry, but it wasn't that well-written, at least compared to his later works. You can definitely watch his progression as an author through his books, and he's gotten a lot better since. "Tigana" is likely my favorite book ever.

I'm just about to finish "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson. I hadn't read it before, and I'm really enjoying it. Stephenson's writing style grates on me sometimes, with his over-use of metaphors, but he seems more toned down than usual in this one.

After I'm done, I might have to get "The Eye of the World" again and read it in tribute to Jordan. He wasn't a great writer, but he could tell a good story. I'm pretty sad right now.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Agree on Donaldson and Martin...

would also add Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle and, if you like hard science fiction, Greg Bear's Eon series...

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to give the Eon books a shot sometime. I have read some of Bear's other work, /, Moving Mars (first 1/2 of the book extremely dry). I think I prefer his shorter work, Blood Music (short story, not the novel), Heads. He gets serious points for ripping on Hubbard in the aforementioned Heads [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite Bear book might just be Queen of Angels, but Darwin's Radio and The Forge of God are also great.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 PM

Neuromancer and basically everything by william gibson.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some good suggestions in this thread:

Link

If you like Kay, then you should definitely read the Fionavar Tapestry (trilogy) if you haven't already.

[/ QUOTE ]

All,

thanks for the tips, also I wasn't aware there was such a recent thread on this.
I lack skills in the search dep...
Old 09-18-2007, 12:39 AM

'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever' Stephen Donaldson. Just start reading it, it is to hard to describe.
'The Foundation'. This series by Isaac Asimov will hook you from the first page. IMHO the finest SF of all times.
The 'Earthsea' novels by Ursula Le Guin. Even though this is radical lesbo pinko writing, it is still good stuff.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:35 AM

"Ender" series by Orson Scott Card. Nine books so far and a new one due at the end of the year.

"Foundation" series Asimov. Also the Robot and Empire series and the way they are all tied together.