Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-18-2007, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Fall \'07 Movie Thread

no country 4 old men:

the villain in this will go down as one of the greatest in modern film history. the first 15 minutes are amazing IMO, and you need to see them.

all honesty I got bored later on, but I cant say it wasnt well executed. still a great movie.

Fred clause: very marginal at best. IMO bad. too predictable, too much cliche. Sene it a hundred tiimes. I'm a big Vince Vaugn fan, if he is the same guys he always is (good thing IMO). I could have used less north poll and more chicago.

Rachel Wies: hott as freshly baked muffin.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 AM

I'm pretty sure I didn't "get" No Country for Old Men. Fantastic movie, but unsettling because if they were trying to make a deeper point, I missed it. Need to see it again (actually I think I need to see Michael Clayton again, too, I think there's a lot going on below the surface of that movie). My mind is going in my old age, I guess.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 PM

I just saw 'Grindhouse' the double feature written by Quentin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez.

I watched them individually, about a week apart.

They did not disappoint at all. There was a lot of Tarentino influence on both films although Rodriguez gets a lot more credit for Planet Terror.

The stunt lady in Death Proof, Zoe Bell did her own stunts - you have to see it to appreciate that.

These were the best movies I've seen in a while.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:51 AM

Lust and Caution, Ang Lee's new movie starring Tony Leung was ridiculously bad. It might because they edited out whatever made it NC17 when I saw it, but it was unbearable and the ending made no sense at all.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:53 AM

from what ive seen in other places, the Asian edited version guts the film (10 minutes) so my initial review probably isn't fair.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I didn't "get" No Country for Old Men. Fantastic movie, but unsettling because if they were trying to make a deeper point, I missed it. Need to see it again (actually I think I need to see Michael Clayton again, too, I think there's a lot going on below the surface of that movie). My mind is going in my old age, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also didn't "get" No Country. I saw it with 6 people and we all thought that it was well done with high quality acting, but none of us enjoyed it. Some of the dialog was hard to understand because of the thick western accents and by the end of the movie I didn't care enough to put in the effort to figure out what they were saying or what the real point was.

Loved Darjling limited, but I'm one of those people that thinks think Wes Anderson can do no wrong.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:21 AM

i thought No Country for old Men was [censored] fantastic. i thought it was well done movie wise, and well done entertainment wise. if the movie was an 8 though, the ending was a 5. as well developed as the characters were, and as much as that ending may have been some kind of cinematic masterpiece or the writer's dream of an ending, it really leaves a standard audience wanting more closure.

i agree the villain will go down as one of the best of all time. really, amazing. lots of interesting part, GREAT script, witty in a an un-witty so of way, if that makes sense.

i just loved it, despite only kind of liking the ending.

i'm excited about beowulf, the 15 minutes i stopped in and saw while i was waiting for no country for old men to start looked really good.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought No Country for old Men was [censored] fantastic. i thought it was well done movie wise, and well done entertainment wise. if the movie was an 8 though, the ending was a 5. as well developed as the characters were, and as much as that ending may have been some kind of cinematic masterpiece or the writer's dream of an ending, it really leaves a standard audience wanting more closure.

i agree the villain will go down as one of the best of all time. really, amazing. lots of interesting part, GREAT script, witty in a an un-witty so of way, if that makes sense.

i just loved it, despite only kind of liking the ending.

i'm excited about beowulf, the 15 minutes i stopped in and saw while i was waiting for no country for old men to start looked really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

See it at IMAX 3D. you'll thank me afterwards.
Can't imagine watching it in non 3d
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 AM

No Country for Old men was unbelievable. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
Beowulf is fantastic also, just an incredibly entertaining movie.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:43 AM

LFS,
I can't help but giggle after seeing The Rock, Seann William Scott, Sarah Michelle Geller, and JT. Isn't that the recipe of failure for a movie? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] FWIW I did like Donnie Darko but mehhhhhhhh.

KKF,
You need to know more about the background of the story as well as the writer Aileen Chang to appreciate the movie. Paging Private Joker for his review for Lust Caution.

To everyone that wants to see or already saw Beowulf,
Did any of you read Beowulf? I didn't remember the story as spectacular or anything and I wasn't very excited when I first saw the trailer. Now I would be willing to see this in IMAX or something of the sort but to a normal theatre maybe not.

All,
Golden Compass, anyone?