Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-31-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: 15/30 - big pot, calldown.

[ QUOTE ]

Rick - i think we can remove AA and KK from his range of hands, he goes bananas with those holdings (saw both happen already). I also think we can slightly discount TT, not positive he would be the turn , perhaps discount that as part of his range by 20%.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT -- this seems inconsistent. On the one hand, you are so sure that he won't bet his KK on an ace river that you are willing to fold; on the other hand, you are only slightly discounting the chance that be bets his TT into a board with 2 overcards on the turn.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rick - i think we can remove AA and KK from his range of hands, he goes bananas with those holdings (saw both happen already). I also think we can slightly discount TT, not positive he would be the turn , perhaps discount that as part of his range by 20%.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT -- this seems inconsistent. On the one hand, you are so sure that he won't bet his KK on an ace river that you are willing to fold; on the other hand, you are only slightly discounting the chance that be bets his TT into a board with 2 overcards on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not inconsistent, I was expressing flexibility with the other posters range - in fact I asked that it be discounted because TT played that way seems a bit odd by this player but its possible I guess. Lots of guys bet 2 streets and chicken out on the river with TT, this villain seems to check lots of rivers in general. Since we can nearly rule out AA and KK for sure he will likely shut down on the river with a 1 pair hand if an A falls because my hand looks like AK and thats what this player type usually does in similar situations.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not inconsistent, I was expressing flexibility with the other posters range - in fact I asked that it be discounted because TT played that way seems a bit odd by this player but its possible I guess. Lots of guys bet 2 streets and chicken out on the river with TT, this villain seems to check lots of rivers in general. Since we can nearly rule out AA and KK for sure he will likely shut down on the river with a 1 pair hand if an A falls because my hand looks like AK and thats what this player type usually does in similar situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I call a river ace for sure.

It's one thing to have an iron-clad live read and make a good fold that you could not justify online, for example. I don't think you should make the same kind of big fold based on general reasoning like you just gave.

If you had played hours and hours with him live and knew that he can fire 2 barrels but NEVER three it might be different. Here, it seems likely that this is the case but nowhere near certain.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 AM

Fold the turn.

According to your description of his preflop standards as well as him being "weak postflop", you have got to believe you're up against TPTK or worse. Do you have odds to call the turn with just overcards? Even if an A hits, you're still behind AQ.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 11:1 on the river.

If an A hits his possible handsuts
AA:1, KK:3, QQ:3, JJ:3, TT:6, AK:2, AQ:3

He wins: 10, you win:9 You tie:2.

Based on his betting and his smile he is most likely to have JJ or AQ. However, he could also have TT and have been smiling because he just took away 3 of your outs. Likewise, KK is possible too.

I would call an A with a bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking your reads that leaves us with the following combinations should an A hit on the river:

QQ:3, JJ:3, TT:~5, AK:2, AQ:3

He wins:9, You win:5 You Tie:2.

So without comsidering the meaning of the "sick smile" I would call the river getting 12:1 and expect to lose. Your read makes it closer, but I am trying to train myself not to fold big pots for one bet unless I am dead certain.

I would also consider the possibility that he raised KQs and even KQo from UTG.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have odds to call the turn with just overcards?

[/ QUOTE ]
The T makes the nut straight so the odds are there.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So without considering the meaning of the "sick smile" I would call the river getting 12:1 and expect to lose. Your read makes it closer, but I am trying to train myself not to fold big pots for one bet unless I am dead certain.

I would also consider the possibility that he raised KQs and even KQo from UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the opposite issue, I rarely fold big pots - this one I think I can fold however. Thats why I asked if I was crazy in the OP. Getting 13:1 I only need to be good 8% of the time for a call to be +EV but I was not so sure I'm good even 5% of the time due to the combinations and read combined. Luckily I missed the A on the river so the decision wasn't a real-issue, but its an interesting situation.

I saw the villain open limp with KQs in late position, thats why I don't think I can include that within his range for an UTG open raise.

Jskills: if you fold the turn getting 11:1 then your making a BIG mistake.