Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Turn

I agree and I am in the minority for checking behind. Villain checkraised you once. What do you do if he checkraises you again?

Villain could have a flush. I realize you may be giving a freecard for a straight or flush draw, but I prefer to keep the pot small.

I check behind and call any reasonable bet if the river is not a heart. Otherwise I check behind on the river with the dangerous board.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:54 PM

His check to me either like he is shutting down after a bluff, wants to get to the river as cheaply as possible, or just improved his hand.

I dont think very strong hands like a set or overpair are going for a 2nd check-raise on a draw heavy board that often.

His min-check raise on the flop could have been designed to try to draw cheaply to his str8 or flush (or both).

From my original range, the Qs, changes things to

65% of his range, we are 3-1 favorites
10% we are < 2-1 favorites
25% he is WAY ahead.

770 in the pot, I am betting 450

This will give him 2.7-1 to call. He will be making a mistake calling with apx 70% of the range, I have him on.

If he calls, I am tightening his range a good bit for the river, but I plan to call a reasonable bet by him, and value bet "safe" cards.

If he pushes, we are in a tough spot I think he can get there with all of the hands that have use drawing to 0-4 outs plus AQh, KQh, QJh, QTh, AA-KK, AQo.

Damn, I am stuck here. We really cant charge him without commiting ourself to call the push.

Is checking behind an option here? Maybe we can, we can pretty much call any river bet if we do.

Hmmmmmmm..................
I'm leaning towards betting out 450, b/c I think going for the 2nd check-raise is more likely with AQh type hands than 99, very interested to read other responses.

Good hand
Old 11-23-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The check says to me that he is not concerned with me taking a free card. Or perhaps he just hit his two pair. Or perhaps he has a range on me that says I will bet this if he checks.

I have a general rule that says when an opponnent doesn't do what I expect him to do, I should worry. I expected him to bet here. He didn't. WTF? OK, what if he had KQ. He made a bluff on the flop, but now he actaully has something. All of a sudden he is confused and doesn't know what to do. He had you figured for a bluff, but then you called his flop raise. He needs more info before he can act again.

I don't want to make things hard for him. I bet 450 here. It is wrong for him to call any draw here as he will be paying 450 into 1200 with a 20% draw. His one pair hand will feel ok calling this.

If he raises? Well, I'm sorry, I just don't make big folds. I gotta call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaah Jesus Christ, Im turning into a CSC clone. I change my answer to PUSH!!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:47 PM

I'm surpirsed of the answers... How can you check the turn? Is it because it's because you know that the hand is tricky and you know that he bet and Vilain Called or min-raised?

You have to be the aggressor now. The min-check raise on the flop is done for 2 reasons :

1- He has a draw and tried to buy a cheap turn on the flop (scaring you of betting).

2- Or it was a weak bluff or 1 pair hand.

Now try to be in Vilain's mind :

If you are vilan and you see Hero bet the flop and call the raise you have to put Hero on A9, an overpair or a flush draw.

Why would you give a free card to any of these holdings? When you have the best hand and there's a lot of draw there, you have to bet.

I would be concerned that he check raises, in that case we are likely behind or against a nut flush draw or str8 and flush draw. If he thinks we have an overpair and raise us because he has an overpair beat, then he also beats our 57 (worst hand that beats a single pair).

Given his action, I have to put him on Q7 of heart. He raised the flop be cause he hitted hit and now he improved and still have the flush draw so he doesn't mind to see if it hits and it gives you a chance to bet (or bluff in his minds).

Given all this, I would bet at least 500 up to 750. And call an all-in, because of the possibilities he is on a draw and we have 4 outs if we are beat right now.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:49 PM

I will have to assume that I have the best hand.

His check means one of two things to me. He's looking for a cheap showdown or he's springing a trap. I'll assume the former more so than the latter.

I'll make a pot sized bet and if he pushes I'll instacall.
You'll almost never see me online make heroic laydowns. I'm
too old or lazy to follow the action from hand to hand or
incapable online of making great reads so if in doubt I don't have it in me to fold.

Bruce
Old 11-23-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain could have a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he couldn't.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No he couldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

A minicheckraise is often a big hand. He could be trapping planning another checkraise. Maybe he has a nut flush or king-high flush and doesn't mind giving a free card.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:03 PM

Q7 of hearts? That would suck. I don't it's that bad. But the more I think about this hand, I think that he is just a donk holding two hearts, who, on the flop thought Hero was just trying to steal so made a crappy attempt to push Hero off the hand by min-raising, and now, because Hero called and no heart came on the turn, just wants to see the river without putting in anymore money (not that he wouldn't call a bet to see the river though). You just can't check here. And I really don't think you'd get c/r'd either. If he has 6-8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], well, he played the hand well, because we had no idea what the crap he had. And we thought OUR hand was disguised... sheesh!!

-Gross
Old 11-23-2005, 02:05 PM

Flush draw.

-Gross
Old 11-23-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No he couldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

A minicheckraise is often a big hand. He could be trapping planning another checkraise. Maybe he has a nut flush or king-high flush and doesn't mind giving a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take another look at the OP.