Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

On Michigan's Rivals.com site, people are proclaiming the Ferentz offer as a hoax. I have a hard time believing that he would have been offered the job so quickly. This just doesn't make sense. No elaborate search process? interviews? Brian at Mgoblog has a good track record, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt, but hopefully Ferentz remains loyal to the school that made him a rich man. FWIW, Ferentz was born in Royal Oak.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Semi-credible update suggests Ferentz has accepted??? I'm hoping this is just some of the crazy BS rumor-mongering that I expected prior to us naming a coach...but if not, gg Michigan football, we'll see you in 5-7 years (depending on how quickly we tank) and we'll try again. Hopefully we don't blow the bowl streak. GL Illinois/whoever in your new role as conference #2.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 PM

I should add that none of this makes sense. Ignoring the fact that Ferentz, while not terrible, is clearly not an A-lister or probably even a B-lister (whatever people think of Miles, he has to be ahead of Ferentz who is 3-6 against Iowa State by the way). Why would you offer a guy within SIX days? That makes zero sense. I think by law the job has to be posted for two weeks. Something isn't right here, but while Brian is usually reliable I feel like someone in the chain made a mistake or got SOMETHING wrong.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should add that none of this makes sense. Ignoring the fact that Ferentz, while not terrible, is clearly not an A-lister or probably even a B-lister (whatever people think of Miles, he has to be ahead of Ferentz who is 3-6 against Iowa State by the way). Why would you offer a guy within SIX days? That makes zero sense. I think by law the job has to be posted for two weeks. Something isn't right here, but while Brian is usually reliable I feel like someone in the chain made a mistake or got SOMETHING wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are correct, because this doesn't make sense. It would seem to me that the major reason for wanting a coach in place immediately is for recruiting purposes. Considering we already have a lot of commitments, and as far as I know none of them have decommitted, there is no need for such a quick hire.

For those that don't know, Iowa is not Ferentz first head coaching job in college football. He was the head coach at Maine from 90-92. In those 3 years, he went 12-21.

At Iowa, he had a great 3 year run from 2002-04, when he went 31-7. Take away those 3 years, and he is 42-63 in the other years combined between Iowa and Maine.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:08 AM

[censored] this. This is killing me. I already have to put up with the Ford family reigning over the Lions. Please don't tell me that Bill Martin is [censored] deranged as well. This is 100x worse.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 AM

WHO-TV in Des Moines is reporting the Ferentz offer. However, their source in the article is Brian from mgoblog.
So we know nothing new from this report.

http://www.whotv.com/global/story.asp?s=7406895
Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 AM

i got a bad feeling about this. could michigan really [censored] up this bad? not with football [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i got a bad feeling about this. could michigan really [censored] up this bad? not with football

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to our last 2 coaches, Ferentz has a Hall of Fame track record. Moeller and Carr had a combined 6 wins as a college head coach(Moeller was 6-24 at Illinois from 77-79).
Old 11-26-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i got a bad feeling about this. could michigan really [censored] up this bad? not with football

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to our last 2 coaches, Ferentz has a Hall of Fame track record. Moeller and Carr had a combined 6 wins as a college head coach(Moeller was 6-24 at Illinois from 77-79).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly true. But of course just because you made poor decisions that happened to work our to some extent (we can debate how good Moeller and Carr were, but that's neither here nor there, point is neither was a trainwreck), that hardly justifies doing it again. Ferentz could do as well as Carr did, which is hardly bad. It's not impossible that he could do very well either. But there are coaches with better track records (mostly, without a really awful dip the last 3 years) that have a better chance of working out. A decision has to be analyzed based on possible alternatives; this one looks quite bad from that perspective.

I realize I may be preaching to the choir here, but it needed to be said.