Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: OOT WGA Threads

i'm pretty sure i have been more than fair here, and that no ownage has taken place.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:25 PM

link to the thread that got locked.

This thread has no content and no effort by the OP. It contains a link and a question. This was courteously explained by Yeti in his first post in this thread. That should have ended the discussion, but it didn't, because some people will never be satisfied with a polite and sensible response to their inane complaints. They need things spelled out to them repeatedly, and if everything isn't letter perfect, they will continue to piss and moan about it until people stop bothering to respond. That's what OP did here, posting responses that contained a number of questions (such as "why can't i start a thread to find out more? what's so wrong with that?") that are addressed in the OOT rules and more or less weekly on this forum when someone starts a thread like this.

OP is pissing and moaning because he doesn't get to have his own thread about the WGA strike. Not only did he get help with his question (WHICH WAS THE STATED PURPOSE OF HIS POST AND WHICH WAS REPEATED IN THIS THREAD AS WELL), he also got his wish of seeing a post about it in OOT, because someone else actually bothered to follow the OOT sticky and make a post about it that was appropriate for the forum. On top of that, he got a timely and courteous response to his complaint from the mod who locked his thread.

But to some people, this = a horrible injustice. Go on a hunger strike or something.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:30 PM

I think Yeti has come across really well and is the closest to being the person to "own" the thread.

NT as usual used his own style of attack the messenger. Stabn came in as a premptive warm up, acting as advanced scout to NT. I strongly suspect they are the same person, someone do an IP check! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think the funny thing here is NT basically saying Yeti did nothing wrong and Yeti admitted he probably did - though his reasoning seems sound enough imo, its all about what was in the OP.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the funny thing here is NT basically saying Yeti did nothing wrong and Yeti admitted he probably did - though his reasoning seems sound enough imo, its all about what was in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

it sounds to me like yeti is saying he could possibly have explained it better to the OP, but of course the OP could have pre-empted that necessity by simply reading the rules.

the lock itself is without a doubt completely standard for OOT.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:43 PM

The Lounge version of the WGA thread is doing the pwning here.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like, I still don't know if the problem was that my post wasn't long enough or that there was already an existing thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

so in other words, no amount of explanation will help, and we are wasting our time talking to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
The PMs from both of you gave the sole reason for the lock that there was already a separate lounge thread without mentioning the content of my post at all. In this thread that argument was abandoned, and Yeti implied (which you quoted) that the problem was lack of information. Yeti, who I agree has at least tried to give legitimate responses here, also admitted that it was likely a questionable call, while you've been adamant that the rules are clear and I'm obviously in the wrong.

Is it really that incredible that I still don't feel that I've received anything concrete? Let's get back to the question that is most important for OOT going forward. Is it appropriate to start threads on topics that currently exist in other forums? Does it matter what category it is (entertainment, current event, favorite _______ )? I was given the impression that this is usually prohibited, but apparently most posters disagree with the policy.

[ QUOTE ]
This thread has no content and no effort by the OP. It contains a link and a question. This was courteously explained by Yeti in his first post in this thread. That should have ended the discussion, but it didn't, because some people will never be satisfied with a polite and sensible response to their inane complaints. They need things spelled out to them repeatedly, and if everything isn't letter perfect, they will continue to piss and moan about it until people stop bothering to respond. That's what OP did here, posting responses that contained a number of questions (such as "why can't i start a thread to find out more? what's so wrong with that?") that are addressed in the OOT rules and more or less weekly on this forum when someone starts a thread like this.

OP is pissing and moaning because he doesn't get to have his own thread about the WGA strike. Not only did he get help with his question (WHICH WAS THE STATED PURPOSE OF HIS POST AND WHICH WAS REPEATED IN THIS THREAD AS WELL), he also got his wish of seeing a post about it in OOT, because someone else actually bothered to follow the OOT sticky and make a post about it that was appropriate for the forum. On top of that, he got a timely and courteous response to his complaint from the mod who locked his thread.

But to some people, this = a horrible injustice. Go on a hunger strike or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
NT, you I think I'm bitter because my name isn't on the front page? Come on. I just want there to be consistent guidelines for what can and cannot be posted. Again, notice how your current line of reasoning is completely different than anything said to me through PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the lock itself is without a doubt completely standard for OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would say that, if a thread about a topic as hot as the WGA strike is going to be locked because the guy didnt put a ton of effort into the OP on account of the rules, then the rules arent great.

Obv. I dont speak for all of OOT, and the collective opinion is what matters, but we already have two OT forums with a stricter "you need to put a lot of effort into your OPs" rules, and my thoughts are more that the OP in question here is more than enough wrt to substance (especially given the topic) to be an OOT thread. Though, in all, Id like to see a lot less locking than is current SOP, so I might be off on this subject.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 PM

I will admit that this lock could have been explained to OP a bit better as soon as OP admits he ignored the OOT rules and wasted our time by making this thread.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will admit that this lock could have been explained to OP a bit better as soon as OP admits he ignored the OOT rules and wasted our time by making this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

was this in response to me?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:04 PM

nt,

i am far from a regular oot poster, but what you're implying here is that it is inappropriate to start a thread in OOT asking for information that does not seem to go in any other thread.

is this true?

edit: and i don't mean googletarding. but like actual substance.
Closed Thread