Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

[ QUOTE ]
I want to do this, seriously. Will answer all those questions in a bit.

Actually first I have to increase my strategy/BBV post ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

dkgojackets, who are you? I've long wondered if there were other serious players around Tech campus. Are you an undergrad, grad? I'd be happy to have some poker friends around town and could help you work on your game.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 PM

lol fast
Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. How you are currently improving your game 2. Your poker goals. 3. Your current stakes and past earnings 4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made. 5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I am currently improving my game by reading a ton of strategy on 2p2, sometimes up to 8hrs/day. I also have a buddy list full of 2p2ers and other respected players, whom i discuss hands with daily.

2) My goal in poker is to build a roll playing full ring that would allow me to afford a 6 max coach. It seems as there is a point in full ring games where they just stop running(5-10 on stars and 10-20 on ftp).

If i had to sum up my goal it would be to find my niche. There is so much money to be made in this game and i want some.

3) When i first got into poker i played 1-2nl live. I had no idea what variance was and thought winning 5 buyins in a day should be no problem as long as i could rebuy if i lost. =) Needless to say this attitude caused me alot of headaches and also led to the inevitable bustoing of my roll.

After this i found 2p2 thanks to a friend and made a promise to myself to never go broke from poker again. I redeposited a few different 100$s and finally had a small cash (700$) in an MTT. With my new found wealth i hit the tables ready to try out 6 max.

Looking back i was probably never playing winning poker. I had tilt issues. Also, after going broke i started to value the money perhaps a bit more than being a winning 6 max player allows. So i read more on 2p2 and looked for ways to reduce variance (lolonit) and decided to switch to full ring. After all that is where i started playing live, cant go wrong. =)

Cliffs notes: i am a 6max fish who can beat full ring @ a small stake

I have been playing on 3 diff cpus so it is hard to keep all my DBs together but here is the last graph i made for a dif thread. Filtered for 25nl, 9max....

here are my stats

4) I am terrible at articulating my thoughts and am also pretty self conscious or i would reply to more threads. My best example of a strategy post comes from the STT forum ironically since the situations @ FR 25nl all seem to garner the same "TPTK ARRRR EEEEN"- esque replies. Here is one link

5) When i first started playing poker i was a cocky young teenager, much like some personalities i read on these forums. After playing this game for so long with nothing to show it teaches you to be humble. Not only has it taught me to be humble it has also taught me how to interact with people on a respectful and mature level.

I am 21 years old from california. I like baseball and music. I have recently ventured into a section of the real estate market. A family member got me into this and it could not have come at a better time for me. The majority of the work is done from home on my cpu. I have nothing but time to learn and improve in poker. I just need to find the right atmosphere and i think i have.

It would be cool to help with the website, although i wouldnt be much help since i have limited experience. Anything i can do to help just ask.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM

will respond to this later after class... am very interested
Old 11-19-2007, 03:41 PM

I'm not making an application because I don't suit the posting requirements you have. But, if none in your group can make the web page, I can step in. I will not do it for free, but I will take way less than if you hire some web designer.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:47 PM

this would be great for me...

except, i do have a whiny/needy 2yr old daughter, a god-awful time-consuming occupation, and a fiance' that always feels like shes competing with poker.

another lifetime i suppose.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:53 PM

I suppose I will give this a shot even though I am obviously new by 2+2 standards. I have been playing poker for about 4 years, but I've become progressively more serious about improving my game over the past year. I may not be the ideal candidate because I have a regular job and I work over 50 hours per week. However, I have a pretty good head on my shoulders and I am engrossed by the finer points of the game.

I really love the competitive aspect that poker provides and I am at the stage of my life where I look towards pokers as a viable secondary source of income. I currently play 200NL, and as much as I enjoy making money I truly do want to gain a better understanding of poker concepts that will allow me to improve long after the sessions have ended. Sorta like teaching to fish, rather than giving a fish, etc.

I can provide screenshots that will detail my play on Full Tilt, Party, and Bodog if there is any chance that I will receive serious consideration. Obviously, as someone with no posts, I won't be offended at all if you don't give this a second thought. My previous screen name was danswer5, which I've had for over 2 years on 2+2, but I recently decided to start all over again and focus more on strategy posts and things of that nature. I'll end this right here because it's already longer than I intended; hope you find what you're looking for, and thanks for doing this.

I also wanted to add that I would be willing to pay a fee in order for you to choose me as an applicant. I only play 200nl, so the fee would not be exorbitant by any means, but hopefully this could be an added incentive to choose me as one of your pupils, considering that you will be doing so much extracurricular activity for free.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM

1. How you are currently improving your game

I think that one of the best ways to improve a game besides thinking through the hands is to actually put in the time and play. Practice and thinking through the hands makes perfect. Having said that, I have not played since the Fall of 2007 (besides trips to AC and Foxwoods) because I was busy applying for jobs, classes and college sports. Now that I work full-time, I will start playing again in the evenings and on weekends.
Despite the fact that I do work, my passion for poker never ceased. I have been reading a number of blogs online, as well as the strategy posts on 2p2 in both LHE and NLHE forums. The recent poker book that I bought and finished reading about a week ago was Stox's book on short-handed LHE.
About a month ago I renewed my membership at Cardrunners.
I constantly talk about hands and discuss scenarios with a few co-workers that play poker semi-regularly and have been seriously considering getting a coach in the NYC area. Unfortunately, I still can't settle on anybody just yet and this seems like perfect opportunity. I think that coaching is an incredible opportunity to jump start anyone's poker game.
In 2004 I had my first tutoring session with a high limit player on party (back than this was uncommon and I think I was his second student). We had three brief sessions which had a huge impact on my game. That summer I made over 35k in MTTs and I attribute all of my success to him.

2. Your poker goals.

In short, I want to improve and get a lot better. As I get back into poker I want to be comfortably beating 2/4 NLHE as well as 5/10LHE and up.
I am very determined and Id like to plug my leaks asap and be able to successfully exploit other's.
I need to improve post flop play, especially on later streets.
I need to improve my discipline, BR management and be honest with myself regarding poker (not mix poker winnings with actual salary).
I am willing to work as hard as necessary to accomplish these goals.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

I am going to redeposit and start out at 1/2 NLHE as well as 3/6 LHE full ring.
I have played exclusively STTs and MTTs from 2003-2005 when I was in college, making around 30k during that time and have played cash games ever since, with the bulk of the hands logged at 1/2NLHE and 5/10 LHE HU.
My biggest day was a 300euro with rebuys tournament in Madrid where I placed second for 22k euroes (lost hu with 2/1 chiplead). I was staked for this tournament and spent 1.5k euroes on entry fees, so I only got half of the 22k cash.
Best month when I was playing MTTs online was 27k. Best cash month was +10k playing 1/2 and 2/4 last summer. My worst month was -8k right after that.

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

Although I have been an avid reader of 2p2 and a number of online poker blogs, I do not really have any poker posts that I am "proud off". All the poker-related posts I have are when I was trying to regain my confidence and rebuild my roll after that -8k month. If you find these helpful, feel free to look through them.

5. A little about yourself.
Graduated from college this spring with a degree in Econ and International Relations. As of July I live in NYC and work at a hedge fund. Most of my time is preoccupied with work, catching up friends and thinking (hopefully playing soon) about poker.

If you need additional info, let me know.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM

-cr.com member for 1yr+
-talk w/ other 2p2rs on aim
-constantly examaning my sessions in pt, recently mostly at my medium sized pots, and missed thin vbets
-strat forums of course

-beat 5/10 and 10/20 for 4ptbb+ over 250k hands
-spot and VIOLENTLY exploit small leaks/tendencies from decent tags
-adjust better to better thinking players

-200nl and 400nl
-ive have over 500k hands at 1/2nl alone at something like 3.3ptbbs(im a br nit i guess)
-im rolled for bigger games and will not hesitate to sit in 5/10 or 10/20 games when theres a real good seat(but i dont feel as comfortable as i do in my reg games)

-i used to make alot of posts and replys in ssnl, but lately theres been some real bad advice being thrown around in there
and i just dont need as much help as i used at the 1/2 games
-i still make replys to situations that i know for certain what i would do and most of the time i feel im very accurate

-i have been playing as a full time pro for the last 2yrs
-i have played limit/sngs/and now nlhe cash for a living, i think i have a strong fundamental understanding of the game
-im 24 and im currently play full time, i try to aim for 30k hands every month......
-since u play the games i want to beat, i think i would be a player that would most benefit from some fine tuning from a seasoned vet at these lvls
and since i know im not exactly the player u had in mind to mentor, but I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY IT FORWARD BY HELPING OUT SOMEONE PLAYING uNL that u feel has potential
Old 11-19-2007, 04:29 PM

this is a great idea.

1. just put in an application for a coach through leggopoker but have been posting hands, strat in ssnl for a couple months now. I keep a journal to review my sessions and write out the hands I misplayed so I don't repeat the same mistakes. people remember things they write down something like 80% better than when they just see/hear them. finally figuring out why/how I tilt which has been hurting my game lately.

2. I hope to be able to beat up to 3/6 or 5/10nl, I think its important to have realistic goals and expectations. 10/20nl and higher is seriously tough competition and while its possible to get there the chances that you'll be a long term winner is very slim considering the state of online games.

3. currently playing 1/2nl at fulltilt. bankroll is at approx. $14k that I've worked up from an initial deposit of $300 in august.

one

two

three

5. graduated from penn state last spring. decided to put off getting a real job for a while to do some traveling/time off in England. been putting off getting a real job ever since, fell into poker. don't want to play poker forever, rather use it as a stepping stone to opening up my own business in the future. am focused, dedicated and feel as though I have lots of potential for improvement as I've only been playing nl for 3 months. have some ssnl street cred but its only at 100nl

other than that I dunno, man. I hope I get picked for this because it sounds like a great opportunity to learn and improve.
Closed Thread