View Poll Results: 0-$20k
0-20% 9 50.00%
20-40% 6 33.33%
40-60% 1 5.56%
60-80% 0 0%
80-100% 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Default To correct, or not to correct, that is the question.

This problem arose in my last home game. I'm a bit unclear as to the exact details, but I think that is kind of the point...

A hand involving three players and a side pot and main pot occurred. The hand resolved with a player winning the main pot and another winning the side pot. Three or four hands later, one of the players states that the pots in the previously discussed hand were incorrect. With remarkable accuracy, the player explained that each pot was wrong and that it was not too late to correct it. Correcting it (if everything the player says was true, either intentionally or not) would not involve that much of a change (less than 10% of stacks). The table feeling, along with mine (the host) was that three hands later is too late to correct that sort of an error. I figured it would set too slippery of a president and result in future conflicts of the same nature. But suppose the player was able to exactly recall each players betting action for the whole hand, three hands later, should the chips be corrected?

If this needs any clarification, let me know. Thanks for the help.

Oh, an important detail was overlooked. The player requesting the chip correction won one of the pots and felt some of the chips from the pot he didn't win belonged in the pot he did win.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: To correct, or not to correct, that is the question.

If you think the pots are not correct, or are just uncertain, stop the game and calmly recreate the action and form the pots until everyone agrees before the next hand is dealt. Once the next hand is dealt it is too late to bring it up.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 PM

Ugh, that's a tough one. Unfortunately, there's no way to verify, and the hand was long over. If it was even during the next hand that he noticed, I'd probably allow it, but at that point it's too late.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Absolutely not, especially if he stands to gain chips. Stop the action at the time, if the side pot is wrong.

Too late, so sad, too bad.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM

He should have spoke up during the hand. Once hand is over it's over. Move on, nothing to do here.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:00 AM

3 hands later is way to late to go back and fix the pot. why didn't he speak up sooner?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:26 AM

While it's admirable that the guy wants to correct things to his detriment, he should have said something immediately. As it is, there is a little bit of a chance he knew at the time and is only saying something now because he thinks people will say it's too late to change it. Still, it IS too late because you can not spread the hands in front of you.

The ruling on the field is upheld, the loser of the challenge is charged a time out.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 AM

It's too late
Old 10-23-2007, 06:03 PM

Hahaha...three hands later, give me more chips! Sorry, too late to ask. Once the chips are awarded and the hands are mucked, it's too late. Maybe at a friendly home game you might correct it before the next hand is dealt if everyone agrees.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 PM

From Roberts Rules of Poker:

A ruling may be made regarding a pot if it has been requested before the next deal starts (or before the game either ends or changes to another table). Otherwise, the result of a deal must stand. The first riffle of the shuffle marks the start for a deal.

If a pot has been incorrectly awarded and mingled with chips that were not in the pot, but the time limit for a ruling request given in the previous rule has been complied with, management may determine how much was in the pot by reconstructing the betting, and then transfer that amount to the proper player.