8 5 3.60%
9 1 0.72%
10 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: A few \'scientific\' polls to compare OOT to the rest of the US

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is basically the what im saying duke, and those are your two options. Im personally never giong to be doing any research to find how "everything was made". Im not smart enough, no one on this forum is, so, just in case there is a god, Im going to believe in one, no harm done. I mean, basically all these "atheists" are worshipping a god themselves, they just act condescending about it. There at some point has to be faith that either science can explain the orgins, or faith that there is a god, to me, having faith in god is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY smarter, I mean look at the consequences, if it turns out the atheists are right, what do you get out of it? You get to whip out your e-penis on a stupid forum and say "look we were right, all you god believers are stupid", and then we have to eat some crow. Big [censored] deal, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dangerously sliding into a thread belonging to 'Science, Math & Philosophy'. But I still have to say that you must be leveling me, right? Nobody can believe in God just because it's "safer"? And how are all "atheists" worshipping God itself? I can't understand why it is so hard for people to admit that there are million things that we don't know about this world and why do they have to fill that hole with a bunch of speculation/nonsense/belief/religion whatever you wanna call it. Nobody knows how the universe/time began. Basically it's the same as telling the exact ending point of infinity.

This has to be an American thing because I have never ever bumped into people in Europe in so vast numbers who a) debate whether Evolution is real at all b) have so many misconceptions about atheism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the big deal if I believe in god because its "safer"? how does it affect anyone? Im not shoving it down your throat or making you believe? Athesists have a dogma just like any other religion, and you have the same amount of zealots that want to legislate their views on everyone just like religious people do. there is little difference and if you think there is, you are wrong. You have faith in something science can not explain yet, you just assume that there is a "magic" explanation that everything will be solved one day, I fail to see the difference.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is basically the what im saying duke, and those are your two options. Im personally never giong to be doing any research to find how "everything was made". Im not smart enough, no one on this forum is, so, just in case there is a god, Im going to believe in one, no harm done. I mean, basically all these "atheists" are worshipping a god themselves, they just act condescending about it. There at some point has to be faith that either science can explain the orgins, or faith that there is a god, to me, having faith in god is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY smarter, I mean look at the consequences, if it turns out the atheists are right, what do you get out of it? You get to whip out your e-penis on a stupid forum and say "look we were right, all you god believers are stupid", and then we have to eat some crow. Big [censored] deal, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dangerously sliding into a thread belonging to 'Science, Math & Philosophy'. But I still have to say that you must be leveling me, right? Nobody can believe in God just because it's "safer"? And how are all "atheists" worshipping God itself? I can't understand why it is so hard for people to admit that there are million things that we don't know about this world and why do they have to fill that hole with a bunch of speculation/nonsense/belief/religion whatever you wanna call it. Nobody knows how the universe/time began. Basically it's the same as telling the exact ending point of infinity.

This has to be an American thing because I have never ever bumped into people in Europe in so vast numbers who a) debate whether Evolution is real at all b) have so many misconceptions about atheism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the big deal if I believe in god because its "safer"? how does it affect anyone? Im not shoving it down your throat or making you believe? Athesists have a dogma just like any other religion, and you have the same amount of zealots that want to legislate their views on everyone just like religious people do. there is little difference and if you think there is, you are wrong. You have faith in something science can not explain yet, you just assume that there is a "magic" explanation that everything will be solved one day, I fail to see the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm yeah ok, so you really didn't get anything I said. It's ok. How can I have a dogma, how do I "have faith in something that science can't explain yet"? I don't understand, I have never ever stated anything remotely implying that 'Big Bang' was the beginning of it all or something. You really need to study the concepts like 'faith', 'science' and 'atheism' because I'm pretty sure you 're mixing up some things.

And what comes to your reason for believing in God "because it's safer", it's all cool. You can believe in God for whatever reason. I think it's just very unique to have that reason for believing and I'm quite positive it's not very common. It's just cool to hear that it's something people can do, to have faith in God just to be sure.

EDIT: And again, I'm sorry that this slide into this topic since this definately doesn't belong to OOT.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 PM

I dont know what you believe, but I know what most atheists believe. their dogma is that there is no god and eventually science will explain everything, and if never does, it doesnt matter, it wasn't god that did it.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:07 PM

guids is basically referring to Pascal's Wager
Old 05-07-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know what you believe, but I know what most atheists believe. their dogma is that there is no god and eventually science will explain everything, and if never does, it doesnt matter, it wasn't god that did it.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is most definitely not what scientists and atheists believe. If you ask any decent scientist, he or she will tell you that we will never know the complete truth about everything.

Few atheists claim to be 100% sure that god cannot possibly exist. They do not believe in a god because there is no evidence. If evidence for a better theory than evolution was one day presented, or evidence of god were found, most of these people would abandon their beliefs overnight. That is far from dogmatic.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids is basically referring to Pascal's Wager

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] why did my post linking to that get ignored by everyone?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dids but you're just plain wrong. I'd again suggest you to study concepts like 'faith', 'science' and 'atheism' and if you don't want to do that but want to continue discussing this topic, then you come out as ignorant. Sorry.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dids but you're just plain wrong. I'd again suggest you to study concepts like 'faith', 'science' and 'atheism' and if you don't want to do that but want to continue discussing this topic, then you come out as ignorant. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Im not dids, dont every confuse me with him.

2. As a philosophical view, atheism is the belief in the nonexistence of gods,[1] or the rejection of theism.[2]

And if you fail to see how atheists dont adhere to some dogma (ecspecially on this forum), you do the [censored] research becuase you are the ignorant one.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Im not dids, dont every confuse me with him.

2. As a philosophical view, atheism is the belief in the nonexistence of gods,[1] or the rejection of theism.[2]

And if you fail to see how atheists dont adhere to some dogma (ecspecially on this forum), you do the [censored] research becuase you are the ignorant one.

[/ QUOTE ]
according to dictionary.com,

dogma = a system of principles or tenets, as of a church.
tenet = n. An opinion, doctrine, or principle held as being true by a person or especially by an organization.

You define atheism as rejection of theism. There is no dogmatic belief without evidence in any doctrine involved in this case. It is simply the lack of an unjustifiable belief in god.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ID and evolution are not mutually exclusive. Most Christians believe in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Christians believe in micro-evolution, they dont believe that Man came from monkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you come up with this [censored]? or am I being leveled?

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought this was true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya cuz it is, Micro-evolution has been adapted by the christian/catholic (1 of the 2 or maybe both, i dont remember) church.