Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 04-21-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Best quick argument against the \"social contract\" canard

I got to talking politics with some ppl at school the other day (very dangerous). They used the "social contract" argument. Apparently by participating in society I am signing a contract and therefore have to agree to do some things that they think are good for society.

I was shocked how many people nod their heads when they hear this crap. My problem is I need a good quick argument against it and I couldn't think of one. Best I came up with was that I never signed anything and a contract is supposed to be a voluntary agreement. I just got blank looks... Any ideas? Maybe I need a good analogy or a freaking puppet display or something.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Best quick argument against the \"social contract\" canard

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 04-21-2007, 12:37 AM

There isn't one. You're not born an adult but instead born as a baby and raised under the protection of the social contract. It's identical to AC land, where the existing property entitlements are forced on you at birth - you're forced to accept whoever owns the road outside your house as the legitimate owner, even though you had no say in the matter.

[ QUOTE ]
Best I came up with was that I never signed anything and a contract is supposed to be a voluntary agreement. I just got blank looks...

[/ QUOTE ]
People give you funny looks because they instinctively understand this, and you appear not to.

If you need a quick, dishonest argument to help promote your ACism, ask them if the same contract would apply if they lived in a country with a majority who want communism, dictatorship or Islam.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There isn't one. You're not born an adult but instead born as a baby and raised under the protection of the social contract. It's identical to AC land, where the existing property entitlements are forced on you at birth - you're forced to accept whoever owns the road outside your house as the legitimate owner, even though you had no say in the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a total non sequitur.

These "existing property entitlements" are no imposition on you at all, since you have no right to any of that property to begin with. This is like saying that George Steinbrenner is imposing upon me by not letting me have the Yankees.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:41 AM

Thats exactly what you should be doing. The social contract isnt something that exists, its an imaginary construct that is backed up by the legitimacy of democracy. You should then ask them about the effectiveness of democracy. How egalitarian can the social contract be when democracy is just a way for people with money to control the people who make the laws in this country?
Old 04-21-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]

It's weird how all of your arguments are made by way of strained analogies.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

These "existing property entitlements" are no imposition on you at all, since you have no right to any of that property to begin with. This is like saying that George Steinbrenner is imposing upon me by not letting me have the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're an imposition if they're your only way of leaving your house. Such is the problem of shared, finite property and historical rights - which AC cannot solve. Don't pretend that it can.

One could also argue that you have no right to make government issued money without paying the social costs incurred under the social contract (i.e. taxes). You're free to forgo government issued money and print your own.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:46 AM

Quick! Someone give me the one-line, AC solution!
Old 04-21-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They're an imposition if they're your only way of leaving your house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what I should be afraid of. Some guy is going to buy the 20 foot circular plots of land aroud other peoples propery and post armed guards there demanding the homeowners do not come onto his property because this is his new pasttime.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quick! Someone give me the one-line, AC solution!

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm... The kool-aid tastes good...