Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 AM

Default Ever refuse to be a best man at a wedding?

This is kind of a tangent on Wacki's 'cheater' thread below.

If you did, how'd it go? Are you still buds? How awkward was the conversation where you refused?

For me, at the time, the chick was an immature bitch stuck in the princess syndrome. It was unanimous that no one liked her. I mean, no one. Friends or family. It was an awkward conversation, but it was a good test of the friendship. Briefly: I basically laid it all out on the table for him as far as the why's. Basically telling him to hold off until she shows a bit more respect towards him(my main issue with it). She was young, but I said who knows, in time she could change. But for now...
It was a delicate conversation to say the least.

A few years and a kid later(along with some other factors), she's really come around. She's actually very pleasant now. But back then? You just wanted to put a plastic bag over her head.

b
Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Ever refuse to be a best man at a wedding?

No, but I should have.

My best friend married an enormous bitch. Just to put things in perspective for you guys, she had two maids of honor, both of whom were getting married 6-8 months later. She was not invited to either wedding.

So . . . basically, the groom's family and I had been swallowing his fiance's [censored] so that he wouldn't have to step down from la-la land. Well, I choked on her [censored] at the wedding reception and coughed some of it back up in her face.

She asked me to leave and my friend hasn't spoken to me since.

Scott

PS The bitch sent me a card for the holidays though. Go figure.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 AM

Your best friend hasnt spoken to you since? wow.

This is why I believe there is no such thing as a "true friend".
Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Loyalty and courage still exist in this world.

There are people who ARE true friends.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 AM

I've actually had a similar talk with a friend that i consider a brother. The topic came up when the subject of my brother's wife came up. She was universally disliked (not hated) by all of his friends, and when i had to give the speech, i was really worried about what to say since I wanted to say something truthful and meaningful. While she ended up actually being a really cool chick that everybody misunderstood (myself included) the subject of wife/friend ended with my friend saying that he wouldn't marry a chick that didn't get along with his friends.

I thought this was extreme, but the sentiment was really touching and shows the true markings of a life-long friend. It's not that he'd seek our approval, because i don't mind if he basically tells us all to [censored] off, it's that he wont' break us off over another friend or even his future wife. On the opposite end, you gotta realize that you should do your part also and realize that you can be just as inconsiderate as the friend with the bitch wife.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean to say this is why he wasn't really that guys true friend.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's a lot more to the story than just that. The short of it is that he converted to a new religion and doesn't believe that there is room in his life for anyone not of his new religion (this includes his parents, whom him and his fiance actually tried to convert).

Scott
Old 03-28-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's a lot more to the story than just that. The short of it is that he converted to a new religion and doesn't believe that there is room in his life for anyone not of his new religion (this includes his parents, whom him and his fiance actually tried to convert).

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

wow so he drank the whole pitcher of punch then, eh?

Wow.

My brother and I always have talks like this where one of us says like "Hey, if I am ever gonna marry a girl who ________, no matter how hot she is, kidnap me and take me to vegas to stop me"
Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 PM

I'm the world's worst best man.

Been asked five times.

Turned down one because it was a shotgun wedding and they had no future. The wife actually got an abortion, claimed it was a miscarriage and the whole thing was over in 18 months. He's now happily married to someone else.

Two times made it through the ceremony, both ended within 5 years. One of them is now happily remarried but didn't ask me to be best man again. Other is closing in on new wife, unknown whether or not I get asked again.

Two didn't even make it to the wedding. BOTH fiancés got knocked up by other guys weeks before wedding date. One married a great girl a couple years later and now is happy with three kids. I was not asked again.

I have been blackballed as a best man amongst my friends and family. I tend to think my friends choose horrible women. By the way, I made these five people my co-best men in my wedding in Las Vegas.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

LDS?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:16 PM

I didn't refuse, but I protested. I went to school with the groom, he was only 20 and he basically married the first chick who blew him. She was a cow. He came from a good Italian family and he got pressured by guilt into marrying this bitch. She was a nasty piece of work.

My protest came during my best man speech. I recounted how the groom had lost his virginity to a chick with a leg in a plaster cast. At one point I forgot the girls name, but fortunately the bride was able to prompt me. Half the room loved the speech, the other half didn't like it quite so much.

After my speech the grooms very Italian mother came up and thanked me from the depths of her heart. To cut a long story short, when he lost his virginity to this other girl, he disappeared for three days, as she basically kept him prisoner in her house. I know it sounds weird that you could be kept prisoner by a chick with a leg in a plaster cast, but that is what happened. Finally my friend managed to get hold of us and we rescued him. His mother of course was worried sick, as only an Italian mother can be. I was happy to clear those three days up for her.

Three years later my friend recounted what he had asked his wife for his birthday. She had asked him what he wanted and he replied that he would like some sex. She thought that was funny and then asked him what he really wanted. He repeated that he wanted some sex. He didn't get any. They are still married. He sleeps around. What choice does the poor guy have?

Oh, and I didn't shave for the wedding. Nice line of stubble in those all so important wedding photos.