Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Opening up my 3 betting range

Guys

Currently i feel a weakness in my game is my 3 betting, it is something ive been giving lots of thought to but would appreciate others advice.

A poker buddy suggests that against reasonable opponents i should not be 3 betting hands like AQ,AJ, and small - medium pairs. As although you are ahead of their opening range, your not ahead of their calling range. He suggests cold calling against most opponents with these cards.

Currently i tend to 3 bets these hands, if you arent 3 betting this type of hand, what should you be 3 betting? connectors, suited aces etc? Other posters dont seem to advocate cold calling that much at all.

He's has got me thinking a bit as i can see why 3 betting a hand like AQ or 88 would be turning our hand into a bluff somewhat. i.e villian would fold everything worse.

I know everything is opponent specific but would just appreciate some others advice. I kinda caught between two camps at the moment. Either bet or 3 bet almost every hand we play pf, or start cold calling way more with my hands like AQ,KQ, 88-1010 etc.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Opening up my 3 betting range

Anyone?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 PM

mix it all up imo... 3b'ing relenlessly pf could be exploitable to aware villains... and if you dont 3b enough youll be pegged as a tight 3ber and not get much action.

Reason your 3bing hands that dont fare too well vs there calling range is for image, and also alot of the time they have to fold pre anyway... eg your obv not doing it for pure value, more metagame.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:50 PM

Read SSNL master, top of first page. Months could be spent studying this material, 3betting is covered many times.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:45 PM

This is way too complicated to give some simple guide...the best answer we could give is that you shouldn't 3-bet all the time or call all the time...it depends on so many factors. I think your friend overestimates bad players' calling range (even if you're a nit and 3-bet rarely). He also is probably overestimating their ability to play in big pots. Plus, the more often you 3-bet, other players widen their 3-bet calling range + 4-betting range. Your friend is basically making it far too simple. It's something you are going to have to develop on your own based on hands at the table.