Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Kindle: Amazon\'s new wireless reading device

Good try Amazon, second to the market (Sony was first last year) but this will not take off.

First of all, the design is terrible, I get the feeling of a early 1990's cellphone when I look at it.

Second, the DRM restrictions of not allowing you to also view the books on your computer, only on the device is crippling imo.

Third, No support for pdf files. Really, what were you thinking?

Fourth, no wireless is a huge blow. Sony offers free RSS and blog subscription on their similar device for free via wireless. Amazon, in order to pay for their EVDO network access charge a monthly fee for blogs/rss/newspapers. Not gonna fly with most consumers.

It is a good gesture by Amazon, but no way do they win the market with this device.

I expect Google or Apple to come in with a much better design and win the market.

Design is really the most important issue when it comes to consumer electronics. MP3 players existed for a few years before Apple launched the iPOD with a revolutionary user interface. Until then anyone sporting an MP3 player was just a "nerd".

So thanks for advancing the technology Amazon, it's just too bad you didn't put more effort into the design. You would have had the market if you did.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So thanks for advancing the technology Amazon, it's just too bad you didn't put more effort into the design. You would have had the market if you did.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how much this means, but the site says it's all out of stock of the product(good IMO) and people can put their name on a list to get one. It seems like they are selling well in spite of the "flaws" you have listed.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:04 PM

It's a marketing ploy.

Amazon, has placed an order with the manufacturer for a specific amount, probably something like 50,000.

Before completing the order, they tell the supplier "ship us all units you have right now" (Probably something like 1000-5000 units).

They get a really small order and surprisingly "sell out". Now some news media outlets pick up a story about this hot new device, and Amazon gets free advertising.

This strategy is marketing 101. The device still sucks, and will not take over the market.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want one of these for school, as a Law student it would be awesome not having to carry around those heavy books anymore. And it's great for the environment as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the market for novels is very different from that for txt books, also the client base for the latter is built in, it's not about getting more or less people to buy it.

I doubt txt book publishers are going to want to convert their libraries to a medium which would just really cost them money.

At best, if these really blow up over the next few years and are common for students, students/environment/... associations can choose to pressure faculty to choose kindle txt book; but that will take time and I can't see it being a reality for anyone who is already in university.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't read any of the replys below this one but just wanted to say you can already find a lot of PDF textbooks.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:25 PM

Terrible design. Should have built the thing into a "book" form factor imo. However, I have not yet held one in my hands, so it may be more impressive than I am giving it credit for from the pictures to far.

Also, $400 is insane. If I get one I'm definitely waiting for the price to fall and/or competition to enter the market.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The device still sucks, and will not take over the market.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right it won't control the market like Ipods control MP3 markets. But I don't think this product sucks by any means. I don't understand the gripes with the design, it's a plain design, not a big deal IMO. Also, the capabilities that thing has are exciting in the sense that it's just the precursor to great things to come.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:36 PM

i saw an interview with the head of amazon on charlie rose the other night once u buy a book from amazon for the kindle it is yours forever.. if u need to delete it for space reasons u can re-download it at any time 4 free
Old 11-24-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i saw an interview with the head of amazon on charlie rose the other night once u buy a book from amazon for the kindle it is yours forever.. if u need to delete it for space reasons u can re-download it at any time 4 free

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as forever when DRM is involved.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 AM

Destined to fail. What is the benefit of this compared to standard book(s)?

Smaller/lighter/easier to transport?

Yes and no. Certainly no when compared to a single book. Yes when compared to 400 books, but who needs to (or does) transport 400 books? Outside of very select populations (travelling abroad for months at a time) this seems a rather weak improvement.

Easier to read than standard bokos?

No. Approx the same ease of reading.

I just don't see any great improvement over standard books here. Digital music was obviously a huge improvement. Increased ease of use (wrt mixing and matching songs from various artists), increased portability for EVERYONE, not just a rather small sub-population. iPods are smaller and lighter than any CD player, not even mentioning the vastly higher number of songs which can be stored. An enormous market for digital music existed well before iTunes. Pirated music drove the expansion of this technology. Pirated books simply aren't the same force.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM

<font color="green">
Smaller/lighter/easier to transport?

Yes and no. Certainly no when compared to a single book.</font>

the kindle weighs 10 ounces. the latest harry potter book has a shipping weight of 1.8 pounds.

<font color="green">Easier to read than standard bokos?

No. Approx the same ease of reading.</font>

the kindle is 7.5" x 5.3" x 0.7". the latest harry potter book is 9.1 x 6 x 2.3.

these are hardcover comparisons, but some books are only available in that format. that is currently the case with the potter book i referenced. it's not currently available on kindle either, though. just a marquee example with which many should be able to relate.

books also have to be held open. that is more difficult at the beginning and end of a book, and the effects are worsened as the page count increases. i find myself constantly annoyed with this issue on certain large technical books and i am unable, for example, to comfortably read them lying on my back.

i'm not necessarily pro-kindle, and i don't currently have plans to order one. still, i don't get these knee-jerk reactions from people who presumably have no actual experience with the product.