Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Raise/call river donk with set?

Villain is LP

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Villain calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Villain calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villain calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villain calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?????</font>

I'd like to think the only hands he donks into me with after the river are JT and 99.

BO
Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Raise/call river donk with set?

easy call. Raising seems thin, ahead of K9/Q9, behind to JT/99, so possibly raise/fold if your read is strong.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 PM

PF: 55 is not a raising hand. I'll play it for one on the button (or in a raised pot if it's going to be 5 handed or more). 55 is good for set value, and the odd time it makes a low straight. Not worth much more than that. Call only.

Flop: Good

Turn: Good

River: Call - from a loose passive, they may have been chasing an OESD with JT, however, they may have had Q9 as well... perhaps even K9 (LPs often don't bet flops with top pair low kicker, and limp along - since you raise they are afraid you have AK or KQ.

I sometimes raise here in Live games with a good read, but usually just call.

AB
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF: 55 is not a raising hand. I'll play it for one on the button (or in a raised pot if it's going to be 5 handed or more). 55 is good for set value, and the odd time it makes a low straight. Not worth much more than that. Call only.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pfft. It was a passive table and I raised OTB to isolate the donk with 50% VPIP. If memory serves, with 55 you either want a lot of players, or heads up. I chose not to play it against 3-4 players and I got exactly what I wanted and was ahead until the 8-outer on the river.

According to Poker Stove, 55 vs. 50% and 2 random hands has only 27% equity preflop and it certainly next to impossible to play unless a set flops. Heads up vs 50% 55 has 53% equity and it relatively simple to play against a donk.

BO
Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 AM

It depends on the limper but usually, raising 55 in this spot is fine.

-Fluffy_Shark
Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Do you have any stats or reads on villain?

I agree that PF is an easy iso raise. As an aside, I disagree with your later statement that 55 is 'certainly next to impossible to play' 3-way unless your set flops. I'm so often value betting flop and turn UI in this situation esp on the button. But obv. thats a complex issue. Back to the hand...

Flop and turn obv. good bets.

As for the river, perhaps I've been playing too much 10/20 online SH, but my instincts tell me to raise this up. Depends on the dude though obv. Against some I'd raise-call, others raise-fold, and the rest just call.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to think the only hands he donks into me with after the river are JT and 99.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you know the guy this well, it's an easy fold. So I guess I'm not too much help to you on the river decision. I struggle here too.