Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Help me with margin

I am trading a small percentage of my portfolio on margin. I assume since I am borrowing money, I am paying interest on that money. But since I have a 0 cash balance in my online account, how do they take it? I never see any deductions for that interest. At what point do they take their percentage?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Help me with margin

[ QUOTE ]
I am trading a small percentage of my portfolio on margin. I assume since I am borrowing money, I am paying interest on that money. But since I have a 0 cash balance in my online account, how do they take it? I never see any deductions for that interest. At what point do they take their percentage?

[/ QUOTE ]

It’s always a bad idea to do something financially that you don’t completely understand, call your broker and get a detailed explanation of exactly what their margin policy is and how they implement it.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:10 AM

You are borrowing money and they will charge you interest at some rate (which you should know). You have no cash because you are net borrowing. The interest will show up as an increase in the balance that you owe the broker.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 AM

It's reflected in your balance as a reduction in buying power. Most brokers charge you monthly.