Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Strange...I never thought of God showing his power via a suckout l

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dear irs,

according to your calculations, i owe you $4,283 dollars. However, I donated $4,283 dollars to charity so I actually owe you nothing. Thanks!

rj

yeah. that wouldnt work...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that you can (bold is from LegalZoom.com):

You may deduct a maximum of up to 50% of your adjusted gross income (AGI) (Line 36 on IRS Form 1040) for the tax year the donation was given.

Poker earnings = part of gross income
deduction = 0.5*AGI (if you give that much, which he won't have to in order to satifsfy his agreement with Jesus).

he would've had to rend unto caesar anyway, so he loses nothing, DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are differences between AGI, taxable income and taxes owed.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's done. God was like get that AQ crap AND that Canadian flag out my face! I giveth yee a straight draw on the turneth. When that card hit I was like, well if God wants this lil fealla to win I guess the river is a 6 - which is one of Satans numbers (666) you know. In your [censored] eye Satan, eat a 6 bitch.

I'm joining a chursh ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn it, I'll never be a good poker player. Why did my parents have to be Jewish?

Does this mean Chris Ferguson needs a new nickname?

LOL Prayeraments
Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dear irs,

according to your calculations, i owe you $4,283 dollars. However, I donated $4,283 dollars to charity so I actually owe you nothing. Thanks!

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

You may deduct a maximum of up to 50% of your adjusted gross income (AGI) (Line 36 on IRS Form 1040) for the tax year the donation was given.

deduction = 0.5*AGI (if you give that much, which he won't have to in order to satifsfy his agreement with Jesus).

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me explain how this works: you pay taxes on your adjusted income so you still have less money in the end if you donate.

Example: You make say 10M, and say your tax rate is 20% (to make the math nice). You would pay 2M and have 8M left if you donated nothing. If you donated half, you would pay taxes on the other half, to 5M to charity, 1M to the IRS, 4M in your pocket. The donation did not cost you the 5M you donated, only 4M, but it still cost you.

Your donations cost you Ammount * (1 - TaxRate). IANAA, but I even think that donations cannot change your bracket (that is, you pay the % according to your income, but the % is applied to your adjusted income vice the % being based on your adjusted income).
Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, this would work extremely well in Debate Club.

Okay, you don't have to prove it; should you at least base SOME of your belief in empirical evidence?

[/ QUOTE ]

I offer as empirical evidence in proof of God's existance the number of human beings that have practiced religion throughout history.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I mean, this can't be a face-value comment; I'm being leveled, LOL, amirite?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Strange...I never thought of God showing his power via a suckout lol

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol at the guys in this thread and the others back slapping one another in recognition of their incredible wit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever read a 2p2 thread? Get used to it.

[ QUOTE ]
only dipsh*ts have faith, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but believing that only dip$h!ts have faith is a much more defensible position than believing in a fictitious creation. I'm not even an atheist -- a spiritual existentialist, to be specific -- but I'd suggest you not try to flex any intellectual debate into this thread. Religions get crushed by reason.

[ QUOTE ]
but realize he friggin escaped the Communists in Laos and made it to America. Pretty damn good reason to have faith in God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess there are myriad reasons to believe in God, then, but that doesn't make it right to ask Jesus to river the life out of your opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you can forgive him his over exuberance, and appreciate his pleasant and apparently charitable nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

His boast of giving away 10% is hardly worth noting, imo. I think most people would give away 10% to various worthy causes if they won.

Also, consider the possibility that he tried to make a deal with God that was based more on the moment than on his intentions. I'm not saying he didn't mean what he was saying. I'm saying that many, many people have felt the pressure of the moment and turned to God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an agnostic and have no interest in being an advocate for those of faith--like spiritual existentialists for example--.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dear irs,

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have it way wrong, although I think everyone else already gets this. You don't have to pay tax on money you give to charity, which is nice, but it's not like you get to take the money you were going to send to the IRS and give it to charity instead. That's not how it works.

Let's say I earn $100,000 a year. Tax is around 30%, so I end up with $70,000 for my wife to spend.

Now, let's say I earn $100,000 a year, and give $10,000 to charity. I get to deduct that amount from my INCOME (not my tax bill), so now my income is only $90,000. The 30% tax bill comes to $27,000, meaning I get to take home $63,000.

So I gave $10,000 to charity, but only $7,000 actually came out of my pocket. That's a nice benefit, but it's obviously not true that the donation cost me nothing. I'm still out $7,000.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Strange...I never thought of God showing his power via a suckout lol

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol at the guys in this thread and the others back slapping one another in recognition of their incredible wit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever read a 2p2 thread? Get used to it.

[ QUOTE ]
only dipsh*ts have faith, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but believing that only dip$h!ts have faith is a much more defensible position than believing in a fictitious creation. I'm not even an atheist -- a spiritual existentialist, to be specific -- but I'd suggest you not try to flex any intellectual debate into this thread. Religions get crushed by reason.

[ QUOTE ]
but realize he friggin escaped the Communists in Laos and made it to America. Pretty damn good reason to have faith in God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess there are myriad reasons to believe in God, then, but that doesn't make it right to ask Jesus to river the life out of your opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you can forgive him his over exuberance, and appreciate his pleasant and apparently charitable nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

His boast of giving away 10% is hardly worth noting, imo. I think most people would give away 10% to various worthy causes if they won.

Also, consider the possibility that he tried to make a deal with God that was based more on the moment than on his intentions. I'm not saying he didn't mean what he was saying. I'm saying that many, many people have felt the pressure of the moment and turned to God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an agnostic and have no interest in being an advocate for those of faith--like spiritual existentialists for example--.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your atheism beats the heck out of my spiritual existentialism when it comes to reason. No doubt. I just seem to fall back on the postulate of first cause, which is a crutch, but a helpful one to be sure!

Edited to add: But keep in mind that when people say they are "of faith," they very often mean a specific religion. I offer no firm answers and no assertions that a poorly written piece of fiction is the word of a Creator. There's a big difference.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say I earn $100,000 a year. Tax is around 30%, so I end up with $70,000 for my wife to spend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, seriously LOL. VNH
Old 07-18-2007, 04:24 PM

lol legalzoomaments
Old 07-18-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, God does not like the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] a+

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at the guys in this thread and the others back slapping one another in recognition of their incredible wit. Sure, it's very easy to mock the guy for many of the atheists and know-it-all-children on this board(only dipsh*ts have faith, right?), but realize he friggin escaped the Communists in Laos and made it to America. Pretty damn good reason to have faith in God. Maybe you can forgive him his over exuberance, and appreciate his pleasant and apparently charitable nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why defend a sinner who we all know will go to hell for gambling?! You should be more faithful, brother, and stay aways from the wicked!