Default Re: Science quiz linktarding

88% - 7, 11, 25
Old 07-05-2007, 05:15 PM

65%. Woot.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:15 PM

I am a scientist.

I missed the one about meteors. I actually never even knew the difference - you learn something new every day, I suppose.

I also had to take an educated guess about the types of rocks, but was about 65% sure of the correct answer and got it right.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's with the answer to that "final velocity" question?

it seemed kind of like a trick question, final velocity should be zero right, since it comes to a stop after being dropped? i can't remember the wording but i remember thinking 100 m/s or 0 could be the answer depending on interpretation.

Also, "This type of rock is buried deep within the earth's crust" couldn't that question be legitimately answered igneous or metamorphic?

[/ QUOTE ]

it said what is the velocity as it hits the water, right? there's nothing tricky about that question.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what's with the answer to that "final velocity" question?

it seemed kind of like a trick question, final velocity should be zero right, since it comes to a stop after being dropped? i can't remember the wording but i remember thinking 100 m/s or 0 could be the answer depending on interpretation.

Also, "This type of rock is buried deep within the earth's crust" couldn't that question be legitimately answered igneous or metamorphic?

[/ QUOTE ]

it said what is the velocity as it hits the water, right? there's nothing tricky about that question.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it doesn't say that

"A stone dropped from a helicopter takes 10 seconds to hit the sea below. What is its final velocity? (Assume that the acceleration due to gravity is 10 m/s2)"

seems ambiguous to me. actually, since it uses the word final i am much more inclined to think it is asking about its resting velocity. the only thing that makes me think twice is the fact that is would be a pretty trivial question if that were true.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 PM

Maybe at some point in the stones life, it is launched into space, where it becomes a meteor/meteorite/comet, whichever term is correct, and thus has no "final" velocity?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe at some point in the stone's life, it is launched into space, where it becomes a meteor/meteorite/comet, whichever term is correct, and thus has no "final" velocity?

[/ QUOTE ]
ZOMG you blew my mind
Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 PM

"resting velocity" LOL

i think it's painfully obvious that the question is asking for velocity upon impact with the water. otherwise why would it even say it takes 10 seconds to hit the sea below? the whole question is talking about the ball hitting the sea, then it asks for a velocity.. seems open and shut to me that they want the velocity at impact. i mean do we really need to specify what reference frame we're talking about in this question, or is it just implied that we're in the frame of the earth? otherwise you could just extend ANY problem infinitely into the future and say dumb [censored] like

"well who knows what's going to happen to the ball a million years from now! also it's on the earth and the earth is spinning around and flying around the sun, so it's moving pretty fast lol!!"
Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM

Got the one about plants losing water to the atmosphere wrong [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 PM

-daryn

sorry if it seems nitty, but guess i am used to working on well defined problems. i guess its normal in physics (at the introductory level at least) to assume away a lot of factors, even if they aren't always stated.

i automatically answered 0 without a second thought. i wasn't trying to be clever or overly-analytical, it wasn't until after the test that it occurred to me that it could be interpreted otherwise.