Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Illegal to Deposit?

So is it technically illegal for a US player to deposit money on a poker site now? This has probably been posted before, but I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Illegal to Deposit?

[ QUOTE ]
So is it technically illegal for a US player to deposit money on a poker site now? This has probably been posted before, but I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but obviously some sites felt it was technically illegal for THEM to ACCEPT funds from US players; while other sites for various reasons do not believe the new legislation applies to them.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:02 PM

i think a key thing to remember about this legislation is that it is not intended to penalize the actual players (us citizens) but to prevent foreign companies from accepting money. the government wants to prevent flow of american dollars out of the country. it doesn't want to run around arresting american citizens placing wagers.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So is it technically illegal for a US player to deposit money on a poker site now?

[/ QUOTE ]
A U.S. resident is breaking no law by depositing money at an online gaming site.

Whether the site is breaking the law is the legal equivalent of the infamous poker saying "it depends".
Old 12-17-2006, 08:44 AM

It's a very strange law; it says it's not illegal to gamble online, and not illegal to try to put money there and try to get money out of there. Still it's made more difficult to put money there, to get money out or even connect to a poker site. But when one gets past all those and pays taxes it's perfectly legal.

I don't know how the law is in this case in EU at countries that have a similar law but I will likely see to that next year by playing at sites that have no license to Italy/Spain and then I will be paying taxes of it (to those countries); if I will face the law going round it in Italy/Spain, I will get poor but then I will know, and will try to move to some region where it may be legal, or to an another country like Portugal, and if I get poor in those too I will likely go to England where I do not even have to pay taxes by being a "non-employed" rather than a self-employed/independent worker.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a very strange law; it says it's not illegal to gamble online

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true if you are discussing the UIGEA.