Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: EDF Wet Shaving Thread

I've had a couple of top of the line brauns and the quality of the shave is never as good as a razor. But nothing beats being able to shave while driving.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find I get more razor burn with an electric and never have as close a shave...am i doing something wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I think this is pretty standard. I used electrics for years and got razor burn on my neck pretty often (though I rarely used aftershave or any of those electric shave lotions). I've been using a Gilette Fusion for the past couple years now and haven't gotten razor burn once, and it's a much closer shave. Obviously takes longer than the electric, but well worth it imo.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 PM

I've had similar success with wet shaving. I was using a Mach 3 turbo before, with pre-shave oil and various off-the-shelf foams and gels.

I bought a higher-end badger silver-tip brush, Taylor of Old Bond St. lavender cream, and that made a huge difference (especially with the pre-shave oil). Doing a second pass against the grain is no problem, even though I used to get ingrown hairs very easily.

I briefly experiemented with a straight razor, and this place:
http://www.straightrazorplace.com/

has everything you need to know about straight razor shaving and wet shaving in general. I personally found it to be a pain in the ass to learn given my penchant for sleeping late and that it takes longer to shave with straight, so I stuck with the Mach 3 Turbo.

I have a dark, thick beard that grows fast, and usually have to shave twice a day if I go out in the evening. This combo pretty much prevents it. You also get "You look younger" comments if your perma-shadow is removed. I don't always go to the effort, but it certainly looks better.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find I get more razor burn with an electric and never have as close a shave...am i doing something wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of it is just finding what works for you. For example, I use a disposable and find that I get a much bet shave with a single blade Bic than with any fancy multiblade. I have also never gotten a good shave with any electric, with or without preshaves or whatever.

Here's a hint for a good shave with regular shaving cream, especially if you have skipped a day. Wash your face with regular soap and water, as hot as you can stand. Rinse, and wash again with soap and hot water, but leave the soap on your face. Apply shaving cream over the soap. This keeps your beard wetter and results in a smoother shave.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It usually takes your face 2-4 weeks to get used to a new electric razor. If you get razor burn after that then you either have a sensitive face or are just not using it properly (my guess is the former).

I switch off between an electric (Braun) and the Sensor right now. I'd love to wet shave,but never have time in the morning.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:06 PM

somewhat unrelated, but i picked up a prototype gillette razor for a marketing study today. i love getting paid to shave!

your setup looks way cooler though...makes me wanna go old-school too. nothing beats a warm foam, straight-razor shave at the barber shop...man, it's been ages.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you using a pre-shave like...

?

I have never gotten a burn from an electric, but always use this. Figured it was SOP.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How long does it take you to shave with this setup vs. regular shaving cream/razor?

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably doesn't take THAT much longer, except I used to shave in the shower and now I don't. I'm sure I could figure out a way to use this setup in the shower, but I really use the mirror a lot, which is harder in the shower. My process after I exit the shower:

1. Put brush in the sink and turn on hot water.
2. Apply pre-shave oil.
3. Dip brush in shaving cream.
4. Apply lather.
5. Shave with the grain.
6. Re-apply a layer of lather (I've left the brush in the sink during this time so this layer is hot and lathery and awesome).
7. Shave against the grain.
8. Rinse with cold water.
9. Apply after shave balm and moisturizer.

The only little problem I still have is that the hair at the bottom of my neck changes direction in a couple of places, so it's very difficult to stay with or against the grain. I'm still really nailing down the area around my Adam's apple, but I've had that problem forever.

I've owned two electrics in my life: a dry Braun, and a wet/dry Panasonic. The Braun absolutely destroyed me and I have up after about three months. The Panasonic that I used in the shower was pretty OK, but my neck would be bright red and swell after I shaved. I stuck with the Panasonic for almost a year.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM

I have a straight razor that I've been using on and off per the recommendation of a previous thread a while back. I love the close feel that I get after using it and would like to do it more often. However, I'm a little lazy so I do switch back to the electric for a while given that it is faster. Combine with the fact that I also can't seem to shave my chin area without cutting the [censored] outta my face, not quite sure why this is because I can do everywhere else just fine.

Any tips for that area because if I could wet shave that area and not look like I got caught in a weed wacker doing it I might be inclined to use my set more often.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 PM

Have you tried shaving with just water+razor? I stopped using shaving cream/gel months ago and that seems to have eliminated cuts and razor bumps.

I've heard good things about Merkur safety razors. I will probably purchase one when I run out of Mach 3 cartridges.