Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: A warrant out for my arrest!?!?!

OP you're not going to jail so relax. I had a class A misdemeanor for criminal possession. I threw away the court dates they mailed me for a year. After a year the cops came and found me, they just brought me to night court and a judge told me just basically show up tuesday morning. I show up, meet with the ADA, he offers me a [censored] deal, I tell the judge that day. Mind you this is after I knowingly did not show up to any of my court dates for a year. The judge promptly proclaims that the ADA is being an unreasonable dick and tells me "he'll take care of it", I never hear from them again. This was years ago and I've had my license run since then (and that time I got away with smashing a car into a phone pole while wasted, but that's another story). Just go down to the courthouse when there's a judge there and explain the situation like you posted here. There's probably a statute of limitations on that crap anyway so I seriously doubt they're still even going to care no less send you to jail.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Belok,

Call the court, yes. But DO NOT go down there in person. Talk to a lawyer, and only go down there if you are advised. In fact, I really think you should speak to an attorney before you call the courthouse. You're going to have to get one anyway, and why not get his advise now, rather than later?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about paying a lawyer before you talk to the court clerk and find out the details. As the above poster noted DO NOT GO THERE IN PERSON, THEY WILL ARREST YOU.

That being said, It sounds like this is relatively minor, and you should be able to mail them a check and have the whole thing go away. I believe that your warrant is most likely for Failure To Appear, which is no big deal, they just want your money. That was my experience in a similar situation. You probably just cost yourself an extra few hundred in fees and fines.

Hope that helps
Old 03-11-2007, 03:52 PM

You want to handle this yourself? Here's what to do:

Go down to the court. Tell the clerk the whole story. Find out whether or not what you're charged w/ is a misdemeanor. If it is tell the DA's rep that you are willing to plead guilty and pay a fine if they drop it to a violation. If not go in front of the judge and say the same thing: 'I'm willing to plead to a violation and pay a fine. If the court or DA won't agree I want a continuance to get a lawyer.' Then you can get your lawyer.

I am almost 100% certain that they will let you plead guilty to a violation (if it isn't what you're already charged with and which is no biggie) and pay the fine.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to leave this damn country and go to Canada.

Maybe step #3 will be calling an immigration lawyer and figuring out how to move to Vancouver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good riddance, hippy.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Belok,

Call the court, yes. But DO NOT go down there in person. Talk to a lawyer, and only go down there if you are advised. In fact, I really think you should speak to an attorney before you call the courthouse. You're going to have to get one anyway, and why not get his advise now, rather than later?

[/ QUOTE ]

DO NOT GO THERE IN PERSON, THEY WILL ARREST YOU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soooooooooo wrong. I went down to the court with a warrant out for my arrest and talked to a clerk. Guess what? I walked out after I was done setting up a court date, without cuffs.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:17 PM

It happens.

The case will more then likely get dropped and expunged from your record.
Worst case scenario, you may have to keep your nose clean for about 6 months or so.

As long as you get a decent judge and display your pathetically helpless Opie face to the best of your ability, they will have mercy on you.

You would know best that you don't belong in jail... do you?

My last bit of advice would be not to listen to other people who have never dealt with the legal system. You will only get yourself worked up more with their words of ignorance. If you want, talk to a lawyer just to set your mind at ease.
I am pretty sure some of them do a consultation free of cost.

http://www.lacriminaldefenseattorney...tWarrants.html
Old 03-11-2007, 04:32 PM

had to post it...your fine,call the court and pay your fine
Old 03-11-2007, 04:39 PM

I would get a lawyer...you may be able to get the whole thing thrown out because of their mishandling of it
Old 03-11-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Belok,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Soooooooooo wrong. I went down to the court with a warrant out for my arrest and talked to a clerk. Guess what? I walked out after I was done setting up a court date, without cuffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess things are done differently in different places. I went down to talk to the clerk about my warrant and also walked out without cuffs.....4 hours after they arrested me and I had to get bailed out.

When it comes to jail, I choose to err on the side of not getting locked up.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Belok,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess things are done differently in different places. I went down to talk to the clerk about my warrant and also walked out without cuffs.....4 hours after they arrested me and I had to get bailed out.

When it comes to jail, I choose to err on the side of not getting locked up.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you say to the clerk? Their response?

I basically told them my situation and she said she would set up a court date and that was the end of our conversation. I was able to select a time and date.