Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 02:01 AM

Default Getting Tricky: Min-Re-raising a CR

Villain is 24/10. Only a few hands at the table.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($811.65)
Hero ($993.80)
SB ($1029)
BB ($139.90)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $6, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $24.

Flop: ($69) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $44.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $90</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $135.8</font>
Old 11-14-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Getting Tricky: Min-Re-raising a CR

lol
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 AM

i would almost always just call the flop, if for some reason i did 3-bet, it would be $300 all day.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 AM

Ha this might actually be pretty good. Reasonably likely to buy a free card cause its disguised.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ha this might actually be pretty good. Reasonably likely to buy a free card cause its disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-14-2006, 02:28 AM

Problem is, he might have nothing much, but hes gonna call ur 3 bet all day.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:33 AM

lol me no likey.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 AM

I think there's some merit to min-re-raising in this spot. It pretty much guarantees that I'll get a free card on the turn. Given stack sizes, any sort of re-raise by villain would be very awkward. I think with a set or strong 2-pair, the standard line in villain's spot would be to CRAI on the turn, especially given the dry nature of the board. Re-raising with bottom 2 would be suicide.

Even though I re-open the betting, I'm not overly concerned about being 4-bet. I don't expect many villains who limp/call pre-flop to 4-bet bluff on the flop, and I also think these players would have the tendency to wait till the turn to make a move with a big hand.

The main problem with the min-re-raise is I don't have any fold equity. He may fold a few random CR bluff hands, but the re-raise is essentially designed to be a preemptive blocking bet for the turn.

The other alternative is to just call his flop raise. On the turn, the pot would be $250 and if he lead into me with a pot-sized bet, I'd be forced to fold. By putting in an extra $45 in on the flop, I build a bigger pot earlier, which would make it much easier to stack him if I hit my draw. I also set myself up for taking the free card on the turn.

I don't really like the other option of re-raising to a larger amount like $300. In this case, there'd be a greater likelihood of villain shoving something like JT or 2-pair b/c of the stack size relative to pot size. In that case of villain shoving, I'd be forced to call as a 2-1 dog.

Perhaps another re-raise size would be ideal, such as to $200 total. Stacks would still be awkward for villain, but I might have more fold equity and still get a free turn card.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:06 AM

i understand where you're coming from, but if you just call he will check all bluffs to you(most likely) on the turn and you get a free card anyway.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:09 AM

I think the larger part of his range is legitimate hands. Getting free cards against bluffs isn't that great anyway, b/c I wouldn't have any implied odds if I did hit.