Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: *Official* Evolution is Stupid Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't a thread about evolution not being a correct theory (sorry stupid people). This is a thread about how evolution's screwed us and various other organisms over. Post examples of various things that evolution's done that you think are stupid, and maybe some other people can clarify why things turned out the way they did.

Here are mine:

1) The ear: When I first learned about the ear...[snip]
1) Inability to sleep at will: ...[snip]
3) Like/Dislike for Certain Foods:...[snip]

[/ QUOTE ]

The ability to count...some of us still need work...

[/ QUOTE ]
I was rather hoping that everyone would follow my example and also count 1, 1, 3, with nobody commenting on it. You've RUINED my masterplan.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:01 AM

Also why haven't we grown wings yet?
And with all the people who've died of drowning, our lungs haven't figured out a way to grow some backup gills?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, what's the deal with adenoids, AMIRITE?

[/ QUOTE ]
Or the appendix. Does anyone know how creationists explain away the appendix?

[/ QUOTE ]
They have fossils, logic, common sense, the Grand Canyon, reason, the platypus, physics, and science to deal with, I think the appendix is off their radar.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also why haven't we grown wings yet?
And with all the people who've died of drowning, our lungs haven't figured out a way to grow some backup gills?

[/ QUOTE ]
Things that haven't happened but we'd like them to is a different idea to things that already happened
Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Inability to sleep at will: I've always thought this really sucked. It seems to me that people would be more productive if they could choose when to sleep. You'd still get tired if you didn't do it often enough, and pass out if you chose to stay up for way longer than you should, but you wouldn't have to lie in bed staring at the ceiling before a big day. It'd be more like going to the bathroom and less like breathing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sleeping at will and a complex, powerful brain don't jive. If your body can't take the time to shut down correctly with your brain on full tilt thinking and dreaming mode, you're going to hurt yourself.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the classic example is the kid who won't eat his broccoli

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a quick note on this one, I heard from UK panel show QI that the reason that children start off disliking vegetables is because to a young pallet these can taste very bitter. This has evolved as it stops kids munching on potentially poisonous plants. (This was not said by god-like Stephen Fry so it may not be 100% accurate)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read the same thing previously. Kids won't eat asparagus, spinach and other bitter plants because it's an evolutionary response to avoid similar-tasting foods that will kill them.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) Inability to sleep at will: I've always thought this really sucked. It seems to me that people would be more productive if they could choose when to sleep. You'd still get tired if you didn't do it often enough, and pass out if you chose to stay up for way longer than you should, but you wouldn't have to lie in bed staring at the ceiling before a big day. It'd be more like going to the bathroom and less like breathing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sleeping at will and a complex, powerful brain don't jive. If your body can't take the time to shut down correctly with your brain on full tilt thinking and dreaming mode, you're going to hurt yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? Is sleep important in theory, or just for the way that our brains evolved?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, what's the deal with adenoids, AMIRITE?

[/ QUOTE ]
Or the appendix. Does anyone know how creationists explain away the appendix?

[/ QUOTE ]

God put it there to test their faith
Old 07-01-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't a thread about evolution not being a correct theory (sorry stupid people). This is a thread about how evolution's screwed us and various other organisms over. Post examples of various things that evolution's done that you think are stupid, and maybe some other people can clarify why things turned out the way they did.

Here are mine:

1) The ear: When I first learned about the ear in biology, I was amazed out how many steps there are between sound getting into your ear and it registering with your brain. There are these bones with a bunch of cute names and some hairs swaying in some liquid and stuff. It seems to me that we'd be better off with just a membrane thin enough to vibrate and a nerve hooked up to it.

3) Like/Dislike for Certain Foods: It seems like we'd be much healthier if we just craved whatever foods had whatever nutrients we need most, and I guess to some extent this is true. However, it's clearly not completely true. Some people have really weird tastes in food that seem to be biological and seem incredibly unhealthy. I guess the classic example is the kid who won't eat his broccoli, but there are a ton more.

Obviously some of this has to do with the difference between what was necessary to survive during the time when we did most of our evolving and what's necessary to survive now--So, for example we crave lots more fat than we actually need since we're just way less active and able to eat way more often than our ancestors. But, that can't be the whole story.

Anyway, please post yours. And if any of you can explain these things, please do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see where you're going with numbers 2 and 3 but I disagree strongly on number 1. A thin membrane would be too easily destroyed surely. I like the real ear a lot better for being long-lasting.