Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: NCAA College Football Week 11 -- Rank\'em

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an Ohio State fan, but I honestly think they should be fourth behind only Kansas, Oregon and LSU. They were the dominate team for most of the season and one loss shouldn't drop them all the way to 8th or 12th. For example, Oklahoma lost to a worse team and they have played some embarrassingly close games (Iowa State).

I think it is important to judge a team based on its body of work over the course of the season and I feel that if you look objectively at the teams in question then Ohio State should be no lower than fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think anyone would have a hard time putting a 1 loss ohio state team ahead of a one loss missouri team who beat the illini and who's only loss is against a top 5 team in oklahoma....i would be shocked if mizzou wasnt ranked ahead of osu

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see what the computers, particularly Sagarin predictor have to say. I would bet you one tenth of my liquid assets that Ohio State would beat Missouri on a neutral field.

If by some chance the two teams end up meeting in a bowl game, my offer stands to anyone. I'll even prove my financial worth to show I am putting up my fair share.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:23 AM

Well...

Missouri > Illinois on a neutral field

Illinois > OSU at OSU

Therefore... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2007, 03:23 AM

well its moot at this point they wont be playing each other

and it doesnt realy matter because the big 12 is gonna work itself out wiht missouri/kansas winner playing oklahoma in the title game..but illinois vs missouri in the next couple of years will be some great games misssouri is young and illinois is even younger
Old 11-11-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well...

Illinois > OSU at OSU

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations to the Illini, they are a good team (the loss to Iowa is puzzling, but still). IMO Missouri was clearly outclassed by Oklahoma. By the way, vamos barca (ronaldinho is quietly playing really sick).
Old 11-11-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well...

Illinois > OSU at OSU

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations to the Illini, they are a good team (the loss to Iowa is puzzling, but still). IMO Missouri was clearly outclassed by Oklahoma. By the way, vamos barca (ronaldinho is quietly playing really sick).

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting..missouri was leading going into the 4th quarter but i guess they got pwned pretty bad
..edit-although i suppose to be fair they did get beat bad in the 4th quarter ..but like i said bfore it is moot
Old 11-11-2007, 03:31 AM

I can't believe they lost to Getafe today....aaaggghhhhh

There can be arguments about who could beat who. All of these are pointless to make unless a playoff system was in place. IMO most college teams in the top 8-12 could beat each other at neutral sites over a large sample size.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:43 AM

OK, have the full Top 32 now.

1. LSU 9-1
2. Oregon 8-1
3. Oklahoma 9-1
4. Kansas 10-0
5. Missouri 9-1
6. West Virginia 8-1
7. Arizona State 9-1
8. Ohio State 10-1 (They did lose at home, so I have to put them behind WVU and Arizona State)
9. USC 8-2 (Great win vs. Cal, if it weren't for the Stanford game, they'd probably be #2 in the nation)
10. Georgia 8-2
11. Florida 7-3
12. Virginia Tech 8-2
13. Cincinnatti 8-2 (Most underrated team in the country, has wins over Oregon St, USF, and now UConn)
14. Kentucky 7-3 (Also underrated, they're definitely better than Tennessee)
15. Clemson 8-2
16. South Florida 8-3
17. Tennessee 7-3
18. Boston College 8-2
19. California 6-4 (possibly the toughest schedule in the country)
20. Illinois 8-3
21. Texas 9-2
22. Auburn 7-4
23. Michigan 8-3
24. Connecticut 8-2
25. Virginia 9-2
26. Boise State 9-1
27. Penn State 8-3
28. Hawaii 9-0 (still not very impressed with UH, Fresno was their first Top 100 opponent)
29. Wisconsin 8-3
30. BYU 7-2
31. Alabama 6-4
32. Oregon State 6-4
Old 11-11-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe they lost to Getafe today....aaaggghhhhh

There can be arguments about who could beat who. All of these are pointless to make unless a playoff system was in place. IMO most college teams in the top 8-12 could beat each other at neutral sites over a large sample size.

[/ QUOTE ]

In soccer, I think you can chalk league losses up to indifference.

Anyway, I agree that the best teams can all beat each other on any given day unless you are talking about some epic team like 2004 USC, 2001 Miami or 1995 Nebraska.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well...

Illinois > OSU at OSU

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting..missouri was leading going into the 4th quarter but i guess they got pwned pretty bad
..edit-although i suppose to be fair they did get beat bad in the 4th quarter ..but like i said bfore it is moot

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, you are right. I probably sound like a douche for loudly proclaiming my willingness to bet on a game that will never happen, but I'm just being honest. I'm a senior at a Pac-10 school so if tOSU ends up making the Rose Bowl I have bets lined up with friends and I'd be willing to place a few more on this site.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:56 AM

I feel that head-to-head results are overused when comparing teams who are otherwise right next to each other in the rankings. The fact that Oklahoma beat Missouri just means that Missouri's one loss is to Oklahoma, while Oklahoma's loss is to Colorado. Advantage Missouri. All other things being equal (records, overall resumes, etcetera) I think more often than not the team that lost a head-to-head matchup should be ranked one spot ahead of the team that beat them, not one spot behind, in most circumstances. Granted, the team that won has an extra quality win, but generally when comparing top tier teams I tend to see having a good win and a bad loss as, collectively, worse than having neither.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying that all other things are equal in the case of Missouri and Oklahoma, the Sooners do have a more impressive resume in terms of top three wins (Missouri, Texas, and Miami) than Missou has (Illinois, Texas Tech, Colorado). Both have consistently won by large margins against the weak opponents, though Oklahoma slightly more so. Missouri's loss is SO much more forgivable though...

My current rankings:
1. Kansas
2. Oregon
3. LSU
4. Missouri
5. Oklahoma
6. Ohio State
7. West Virginia
8. Arizona State

As of right now, this would be an awesome 8 team playoff, the drop before you get to #9 (Georgia?) is large enough that this is the perfect cutoff point. I won't be shocked if this turns out to be the first year in the history of the BCS that I feel a team ranked fifth or lower geunuinely deserves a title shot. Or, it could all shake out over the next couple weeks to where a four team "and one" playoff would suffice... we shall see.