Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 AM

Default I thought this was supposed to be a good flop...

UTG is 65/13/.5 really loose passive and peels way too much
MP is 55/30/1 has been really bad loose aggro and weird preflop, but reasonable and passive vs me postflop.
Btn is 23/8.5/1 and has seemed really tight and nitty.
~80 hands on each.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero....
Old 08-29-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: I thought this was supposed to be a good flop...

I would actually not raise this from the SB. First to act in a large pot kind of sucks, it'd be easier if you have the option to c/r in a smaller pot. I doubt your equity edge is so big that you suffer a significant loss by not raising.

And there you have it on the flop. I'd still call as you have outs against two-pair, or they may be drawing. There's a backdoor straight draw as well. It's close though.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:23 AM

I think you have a big equity edge 4-ways here preflop, and the raise is good.

Once the nit 3-bets I guess you can narrow his range to overpairs, sets 2 pair or straights, maybe there's a small chance he has A8. I can't lay down my overpair though when you only have 80 hands on the nit.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:18 AM

I think a lot of our preflop equity is a non-realizable one.
I prefer to have the pot unraised against this particular line-up.
Our folding equity post-flop is close to zero and the flop changes the hand values drastically.
If I took a guess we have an equity in the ranges of 30-40% which equals 0.1-0.3 SB. Pushing tiny equity edges against large fields OOP with hands that are extremely hard to play post-flop is IMO a losing proposition.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of our preflop equity is a non-realizable one.
I prefer to have the pot unraised against this particular line-up.
Our folding equity post-flop is close to zero and the flop changes the hand values drastically.
If I took a guess we have an equity in the ranges of 30-40% which equals 0.1-0.3 SB. Pushing tiny equity edges against large fields OOP with hands that are extremely hard to play post-flop is IMO a losing proposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thepre-flop equity is good enough to raise here. Firstly there's the (slim chance in a multi-way) chance you fold out the BB and get some dead money in the pot. OP managed to do this somehow.

Then there are the 2 loose guys limping in. You need to push your edge and make them pay to see the flop with their crappy cards.

The tight button is probably overlimping with somewhat speculative hands given his position on 2 loose players and multi-way action.

Given this, and the flop action, I would guess the button has limped with something like 44 or T9o and has connected well.

I imagine hero is behind, and even if he isn't has several overcards to dodge. This might be a close fold, although if the hero calls, I think the other 2 guys will provide a reasonable overlay to carry on. Turning a 9 however, further connects the board.

This is a close one for me.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 AM

I dunno what to do but call.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM

I don't like the preflop raise. We aren't isolating anyone and we don't have position.

My thinking is that I am a better postflop player than they are. If we keep the pot small, and get a good flop (which will be kinda rare), then we can actually force them to make postflop mistakes.

If we raise, the pot is now bigger and their postflop "mistakes" are now much closer to correct; maybe even correct.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I took a guess we have an equity in the ranges of 30-40% which equals 0.1-0.3 SB.

[/ QUOTE ]
how big of a mistake do u think openign 93o in the cutoff is
Old 08-29-2007, 03:47 PM

WTF is up with people and their "I don't want to raise preflop because a bad flop might come"???

Have you forgotten the really simple preflop fundamentals? You have a big eq. edge, just push it and move on to the interesting streets.

If you don't raise this preflop is it with the intention of checking and folding whenever an overcard falls? The hand doesn't become any easier to play by not raising preflop. Who the hell cares about fold equity, when you look down and see a hand like 99 one word should come to mind, VALUE!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF is up with people and their "I don't want to raise preflop because a bad flop might come"???

Have you forgotten the really simple preflop fundamentals? You have a big eq. edge, just push it and move on to the interesting streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are first to act with a marginal hand. It will almost always be a marginal hand against 3-4 people post-flop, unless you flop a set. You have the worst possible position; you are likely to make mistakes much larger than your ~6% preflop equity edge. The pot becomes bigger, so everybody is correct in peeling the flop. You will make a mistake playing this hand. If you raise preflop, you practically must bet the flop. You can not check raise, and even if you could the pot is bigger so it matters less.

If you keep the pot smaller by giving up a little edge, you may do better post-flop. Also, you still have the option of check raising, and of seeing the action before you. You are basically eliminating your positional disadvantage on the flop by blind-checking.

I think realizable equity is an important concept. This is similar to saying pocket deuces have an edge over, say, AKs preflop; this is true, but I'll take AKs any day, especially OOP.