Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Sud8 tourney hand: loose steal/standard peel/ big draw

Thoughts on all streets welcomed.

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level IV (60/120), Ante 12, Bring-In 18 (converter)

Seat 1: 3,080
Hero: 1,405
Seat 3: 2,468
Seat 4: 1,234
Seat 6: 4,470
Seat 7: 695

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.20 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (3.60 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.60 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (9.60 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (13.60 BB)
Old 04-14-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Sud8 tourney hand: loose steal/standard peel/ big draw

Third street is fine. Completing is the only decent option.

Your fourth street check is weak. Yes, you have a terrible hand now, but so does everyone else. I keep the lead and bet, and expect to take it down right away often enough to show a profit given those boards. It looks like you might get called by seat three, but even so there's a decent chance you can take it down on fifth.

Since you checked, seat three's bet doesn't say much about his hand. It looks like you were stealing and are giving up, and seat four looks very weak. A lot of players will autobet in his spot.

I don't like your call here at all. Your hand is awful. If you are going to play on through this street, most of your equity comes from catching good and winning without a showdown. You already gave up on that when you checked, so now you have to fold. Even getting better than 6:1, what are you hoping to hit?

On fifth, calling is okay. Seat four has to have two pair or trips now, although it seems like no matter what he has he's played it poorly.

Actually, I take that back. I think raising is the better play here to get rid of player three and his possible 8-low draw, making your big draw a likely scooper if you hit and also adding equity in case you back into a bad low. If player four has trips you'll get 3-bet but that's okay; even then you still have about 42% equity. If he doesn't 3-bet, you might have the option of taking a free river if you brick sixth.

Sixth is good.

The raise on seventh is probably wrong against most opponents. What can you beat here? He called your raise on sixth then bet out, which says he improved on the end. It's possible you still win here but a simple call seems much better.

I'm pretty rusty at stud/8, so please feel free to critique my critique. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2007, 01:21 AM

I'd fold 4th. Your semi-steal didn't work and your hand stinks. If you're going to call anyway you're probably better off betting I guess. The rest is fine although I might just call the river since it's pretty unlikely you're scooping.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:45 AM

T18 bring-in. Nice.

Third's fine. On fourth, betting would be OK, and checking and folding would be OK. Checking and calling stinks. Your hand is terrible. Once you catch your dream biscuit on fifth, you're in for the duration. The raise on sixth is good, but the raise on the river isn't unless this guy is hopeless. You're not going to scoop against a competent opponent.