Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Tips please

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still really like it. I've been playing for a living for 2.5 yrs. I play several different games, though. I would probably be contemplating suicide if I played only LHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only play limit holdem. I love the life style that poker gives me. Thats why Im gonna play this game for the rest of my life, whether I love it or hate it. I cant do the 9-5, 40 hours a week job. I cant even wake up in time for McDonald's breakfast. I would be lost without poker. This is what I was meant to do, and Im proud to be a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTY.

I love you man.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 AM

I think its good to stop playing if you are satisfied with the result. If I continue playing after that it always go down you know. Its like the mind has turned off itself for the day and there you are tilting away. Just stop.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 AM

One thing you could do is set a stop loss keeping you postive for the day as you win.

IE if your playing 10/20 and up 2k, say youll stop for the day if you drop to only up 1500. If you end up going up further to, say, 2500, then raise it to 2k....etc..etc
Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 AM

Meh one thing that really hit home with me was a few big time guys saying that they owe a lot of their success to playing a lot when they are winning and playing less when they are losing (believe this was JoeTall as I first read, then a bunch of other guys i consider to be better at card games than i am). Still don't know if they were just [censored] with us, because that's a pretty weird thing to say. But I have my own interpretation of it.

When the games are good and you have your A-game going you really should not get up. Now, if you sit, win a big pot, and really don't want to play anymore - you don't have your A-game going IMO (a BK post comes to mind here). That being said, maybe you should reconsider when/why you start a session in the 1st place. One thing I like about being part-time player is that i sit down at a time of day and say "ok i'm playing poker now. at least 1 hour, let's see how long". I don't do that bored, fire up 4 tables, win a big pot and quit 10 minutes later, or lose a big pot and play for 3 hours and boom goes the dynamite lfajakljfas. I have learned that lesson about 15 times. Whether it was 2-tabling while doing HW/playing madden or trying to play during a football game or something. It's dumb IMO. Set aside some time. That will help a lot imo.

Sometimes when I play I pick a guy and say "ok when he is busto i am done" (sometimes 2+ guys holla). Usually their seats are filled by better players (just by default considering I give them this tag).

Another thing I liked from baron's vid was that he mentioned getting up after he misplayed a hand. I've been doing that to a small degree lately and i'm happy with the results. Popping up the HH window and saying "wow gross", picturing one of you on the other hand making a note like "b/3bet 88 on AQT OOP vs. pf cap" can get me to take a break no problem haha.

One thing I've learned, mainly from playing NL, is that killer instinct. It's tough to balance because a lot of spots in LHE you really can't do anything (because as we all know, nobody folds a pair). This is much easier in NL because a guy CAN give you his whole stack in 1 hand, but it's def relevant in LHE as well. Makes me better at value bets too.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I like fregan's statement "its good to stop playing if you are satisfied with the result". But you have to change the result.

Last night I was stuck 110 BBs. I picked 3 guys. When they were bust I was stuck about 30 and I got up. Slept like a baby. Granted it was for 3 hours. But still like a baby would sleep for 3 hours.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant even wake up in time for McDonald's breakfast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how this fact is on par with your entire life decisions. (no sarcasm seriously)
Mcdonalds breakfast is delicious..
All nighters = Egg mcmuffin

And amen to loving the ease of the poker life style...
Sure the game is tiring on me a bit, but I would never trade the laid back, travel frequently, see girls/friends whenver I want, make more money than my parents @ 23 lifestyle for anything.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM

Arg I want Mcdonalds breakfast now but it's 10:34. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 PM

Jack in the Box has breakfast 24/7. Booya.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I cant even wake up in time for McDonald's breakfast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how this fact is on par with your entire life decisions. (no sarcasm seriously)
Mcdonalds breakfast is delicious..
All nighters = Egg mcmuffin

And amen to loving the ease of the poker life style...
Sure the game is tiring on me a bit, but I would never trade the laid back, travel frequently, see girls/friends whenver I want, make more money than my parents @ 23 lifestyle for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

but i'm 24 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
(and going to china next week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]