Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: I think I took a huge step towards anarchocapitalism today...

[ QUOTE ]
If I took him out of the state school, it seems obvious to me that I should get a voucher to help offset the costs of the private school. Like, duh, obvious.

Why is the left so opposed to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that money isn't being collected to educate your child.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Learn how to reply.

You don't think there's a common good benefit to food? All of those education that benefits the common good is worthless of the educated people starve to death, so clearly feeding them also benefits the common good.

Ditto for pencils. Eductated people need to communicate in order to benefit the common good. Otherwise, they're just isolated islands. No man is an island, we have to work together, and we have to communicate to do that. Therefore, pencils benefit the common good.

Pay up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam Smith - it is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner but from their regard to their self-interest.

I would say the common good, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Govenment should protect our rights and property not decide what we "need".
Old 09-06-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if universality is necessary then since I contributed 8 hours of work to society today, can I force you to contribute 8 hours? <font color="red">Yes, thats why there are taxes. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, something is terribly wrong here. You're saying that I can force you to work if I work, to ensure that that we each contribute equally to the common good, and that taxes is the mechanism. Last time I checked, some of my taxes were used to pay unemployment insurance to people to not work. How does my right to force you to work 8 hours if I work 8 hours translate to "that's why there are taxes" when the taxation system transparently pays people to not work?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if universality is necessary then since I contributed 8 hours of work to society today, can I force you to contribute 8 hours? <font color="red">Yes, thats why there are taxes. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, something is terribly wrong here. You're saying that I can force you to work if I work, to ensure that that we each contribute equally to the common good, and that taxes is the mechanism. Last time I checked, some of my taxes were used to pay unemployment insurance to people to not work. How does my right to force you to work 8 hours if I work 8 hours translate to "that's why there are taxes" when the taxation system transparently pays people to not work?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you don't understand is you use logic rather than emotion.