Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Frustration...

This is a great idea.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 PM

This sounds like a good idea, but (sorry if this is a stupid question) how do you get to a hand history for a table you're still playing?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Upper left corner you click the hand #.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 PM

buy sngpt, use sngpt

/thread

Just a few comments.

I've had good success using HoH's M to drive my push decisions on sites with slower SNG structures. It was also natural to me since I'd played many more MTTs than SNGs.

I've recently been playing a site with a faster blind structure for SNGs and for the first 100 SNGs I found myself placing 5th - 7th far too often. After some review my conclusion was that I was in push/fold mode too early. Switching to using 10BBs as my threshold for push/fold has considerably helped my results in the faster structure SNGs.

So, the first thing I'd start thinking about is whether or not you're pushing too early. Yes, you might have an M of 10 with the blinds hitting you on the next game, but you're still not ready to start pushing marginals into a large field. Your M will drop to 9 (meaning you'll still have > 10 BBs), so be a little more patient.

The second piece of advice I can give is start looking at the hands you're pushing relative to your position, the tight/looseness of the players behind and the stack sizes of the players behind. I was pushing too many A-rag and K-9 kinds of hands from bad positions. They're great for an open-push on the button, but lousy UTG with 6 players and a 10BB stack with an average mix of opponents and stack sizes behind you.

Look for opportunities to punish limpers. Don't pull it too early, but once the blinds + the limps are significant relative to your stack, punish the limpers a few times. IMHO this adds to your EV in several ways:

1. More chips in your stack the first few times. Never a bad thing.

2. More cakewalks when you're the BB.

3. More stealing opportunities for you

4. Opponents are easier to read after you pull this a few times. A limp is a strong hand to trap you, a fold is junk, and they raise with normal stealing hands.

5. By forcing your opponents to play raised pots (even when you fold pre-flop) you accelerate the rate at which players bust out.

Resteals have similar benefits.

Comments/thoughts?

Jeff

I knew I'd feel like an [censored] after getting the obvious answer. Thanks...

Up to this point I've been going through countless hands in SNGPT to try to find the hands that I struggled with in my last set.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:04 PM

in before lock
Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Thanks everyone
Old 08-30-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am/have been in your also and I might be able to give you some advice.
I am a winning player at the 3.4's and I am currently moving up to the $6.5's.
When I start playing I first start an empty word document (and some music), then I start PokerTracker and PokerAce-HUD and then finally I start my tables.
When I play and I am unsure of what the correct play is/was I save the hand history in the document.
When it is a ICM/bubble decision, I also take a print screen (with alt+print screen) of the table and I also paste it in the document below the hand history, this way I have my opponents stats and I can set their ranges (later) accurate.

After playing I go through all my saved problem hands myself and give them a quick review.
The hands that I am still unsure about I post on the forum or at least let a good player review it.
Then I insert all saved ICM trouble hands in SNG-wizard and I check whether to push/call/fold, using my screenshots to set ranges.

After all this I am ready to play more games and repeat this process and of course I keep checking my posted hands on the forum.

This is quite a lot of work, but it is well worth it if you want to improve, it has helped me a lot.
I 4-6 table and a set takes about ~50 minutes and all the work after takes about 15.

Hope this helps!

[/ QUOTE ]
This boy never ceases to impress me. Nice work mattie. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Closed Thread