Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: SB dealt 3 cards; dealer plays 3-card monte to determine burn card

I was assuming this was a case in which two cards had stuck together when beaing dealt. Of course the situation that you mention could happen as well, but in my theoretical example the player couldn't do much to help the situation.
I never count my cards face down before I turn them up to look.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was assuming this was a case in which two cards had stuck together when beaing dealt. Of course the situation that you mention could happen as well, but in my theoretical example the player couldn't do much to help the situation.
I never count my cards face down before I turn them up to look.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it is because I have had to rule on all kinds of craziness, but I do check my cards before looking at them. I have even seen when the dealer pushes up the winning cards on the board it revealed another card underneath (they stuck together when he put up the board).
Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 PM

This is a fairly common mistake made worse by a dealer not knowing how to do their job.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:36 PM

Default nut kickings all around

The moron who is willing to announce his hand then play anyway, well, WHAM! Square in the nuts!

Next, the dealer. WHAM! Square in the nuts. No explanation even needed for that foolishness.

Al
Old 07-21-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not a misdeal, his hand is just dead. If he'd seen the 3rd card and said something before looking, the dealer could have just pulled the card back and put it back on top of the deck, but as soon as he ruined the identifiability of the card (or looked at it) his hand was dead and he's out his SB money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is the general rule, but it certainly sounds like a ridiculous one to me. Can't imagine any reason to punish a player for a mistake of a dealer. Can't see how it should matter if he has looked at the cards yet or not. Even if he hadn't looked yet, it would be impossible to know exactly which one he shouldn't get.

[/ QUOTE ]
Once there is significant action, it's unimportant how it came to be. You don't punish the other players who've already started playing because SB has three cards. Sorry--dead hand.

But if you catch it prior to the action, it does kinda matter how it happened. If the guy is turned around talking to the waitress and he looks back and sees three cards... ok, misdeal is fine. But if he looks at his first two cards as they are dealt, then takes the third and mixes it in because he didn't like the first two and then says "oh dear, I seem to have three cards, misdeal" I'm much more inclined to say "dead hand" even if there has been no action. SB doesn't get to force a do-over because he didn't like his original cards.

Did have a real-life example of something like this in one of the Binions tourneys during the WSOP. A few hours in and a commotion arises at the table behind me. It's the showdown and one guy has QJ4 in his hand (and QJxxx on the board). He's throwing a fit, saying "NO MY HAND IS NOT DEAD--I didn't know I had three cards!" Obviously the floor ruled on it correctly, but this poor old guy was just spitting and muttering fire after the ruling. "That's the WORST ruling I've ever seen! I should at least get my bets back! It's not my fault I got three cards--I never saw but two of them." Too bad, so sad.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:37 PM

I wouldn't consider it punishing the other players to make them take their bets back. If the cards hadn't stuck together they wouldn't have had the same cards anyway.
I generally don't even look at my hand until the action gets around to me. Of course if the player still doesn't notice he has 3 cards by the time the action passes him then the hand should be dead.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't consider it punishing the other players to make them take their bets back. If the cards hadn't stuck together they wouldn't have had the same cards anyway.
I generally don't even look at my hand until the action gets around to me. Of course if the player still doesn't notice he has 3 cards by the time the action passes him then the hand should be dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is taht you don't have to actually look at them to know there are three of them. just by grabbing them you can count them with zero risk of giving up any tells.

The problem with letting you wait until there the action gets to you is that we worry that if you like your cards and the action that you will play out the hand and dump off the card you don't need.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:10 PM

OK, what if were UTG+1, UTG raised before you even really had much of a chance to pick your cards up, and then you turn them up, see 3, and say so. Is your hand still dead?

I think it would not be that easy to dump off an extra card without someone noticing, and this would be a huge jump from angle shooting to outright cheating that I think very few players would make.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:14 PM

I think I just vomitted in my mouth
Old 07-24-2007, 12:59 PM

call floor person ASAP.