Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 02:41 AM

Default ratatouille (no spoilers)

Another amazingly original, fun, and uplifting brad bird/pixar film. This was an extremely unsuccessful sounding premise to me (a rat who becomes a french chef) and I only saw it because of the pixar name. Somehow, though, they made it into something great.

imo Ratatouille wasn't as good as the incredibles (but I could say that about almost any movie), but I think it's above cars and nemo. Also this one is really geared towards adults, I'm not sure if kids will be entertained the entire time. It definitely gets a high recommendation to go see it from me.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: ratatouille (no spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]

Another amazingly original, fun, and uplifting brad bird/pixar film. This was an extremely unsuccessful sounding premise to me (a rat who becomes a french chef) and I only saw it because of the pixar name. Somehow, though, they made it into something great.

imo Ratatouille wasn't as good as the incredibles (but I could say that about almost any movie), but I think it's above cars and nemo. Also this one is really geared towards adults, I'm not sure if kids will be entertained the entire time. It definitely gets a high recommendation to go see it from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought incredibles was surprisingly weak sometimes, so if that's your highest, I'm not sure what to think about your rave review of this one.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:15 AM

blarg i agree with almost everything you write, so it's surprising to me that you would think that the incredibles is weak. It's definitely one of my all time top films.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:46 PM

My kids, 6 and 11, both loved it, so it has the kid factor. I think it's excellent, although The Incredibles and Cars were better. It's just different than those films. However, one sequence at the end, on critics, is a must see for everyone who has ever criticized another's work. That is classic Brad Bird and worth the price of admission alone.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 PM

I find it amusing that you felt it necessary to indicate that there were no spoilers here.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 PM

I agree about the ending sequence. in fact I didn't even feel that great about this movie until after I had seen the last 15 minutes.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it amusing that you felt it necessary to indicate that there were no spoilers here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I HATE SPOILERS
Old 07-08-2007, 12:24 PM

Excellent film, I enjoyed as much as my 5-year-old daughter. Casting Peter O'Toole for the voice of Anton Ego was brilliance.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I HATE SPOILERS

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I wouldn't have read the thread w/o the comment. So, +1 on the page views!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 PM

Such detail in this film!

Nards aside, the rats are anatomically correct - right down to the zipper (the fur line that runs from chin to giblets on a rat's belly). They moved like real rats (bipedal scenes aside). Ears and whiskers moved correctly. Four fingers and a partial thumb, and tails used appropriately for balance made them look like real rats. I was impressed.

Other details, like the organization of the kitchen, the textures of the foods, even the way light refracted through liquids were superb.

The story was a bit weak, but the characters were amusing enough to bridge that. I thought the short chef was too similar to other Pixar villains, both in appearance and design. I hope Pixar doesn't sacrifice story writing for technology, like certain others have done.

Laughed aloud at the ratatouille/critic scene. F-ing hilarious. So unexpected and so funny.

Didn't like cars (too cliche), enjoyed Incredibles, Nemo was so-so, and TS2 didn't do much for me. Ratatouille, IMO, is a welcome return to Pixar's brand.